This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Whether you need complete silence or some noise to keep you sane, there is a study scene on- or off-campus for everyone. Each study spot has a unique atmosphere with both pros and cons that can only be noticed when actually studying there for some time. It can be time-consuming to go around to see which one is perfect for you. Don’t worry though — this guide will list the best and worst of each spot to help you find your new perfect place to study. These spots are listed from most to least quiet along with my insight on each.

Torgersen Bridge:

If you love absolute quiet while doing homework or studying, this is possibly the quietest place to study on campus while still being surrounded by people.

Pros:  During the day, there is great natural light coming in from both sides and at night there is nice, soft lighting. There are Mac desktops already there if you need to use one and it has a close proximity to food, whether that be Turner, Squires or downtown.

*Editor’s note: While studying at night in Torg bridge, listening to Frank Sinatra will make it feel like you are on a cruise ship from the past. Oddly enough. 

Cons: This place is not for talking or group projects (people usually don’t talk louder than a whisper). It can be a challenge finding a seat when it gets close to final exams.

McBryde Hall:

This place is perfect if you like doing work in a classroom setting. You can choose to have a classroom to yourself or share it with others. You can also study in McBryde 100, which is a large, newly renovated auditorium.

Pros: It can be your choice of privacy and quietness by choosing to be in your own classroom or being in one with other people. There are also many open classrooms full of desks to choose from. It is also very close to Turner if you need to grab food.

Cons: A major downside for studying here is that classes have to be over to use the classrooms. Also during finals week, it can be very difficult to find a classroom that is not taken.

Newman Library:

For the people who like the traditional study atmosphere. It has both talking and quiet floors (3rd and 5th floor) that you can go to based on how you are feeling.

Pros: Everyone that goes there has one purpose, to get work done. It’s motivational to be there during finals week because there are always people studying 24/7.

Cons: It is always crowded and there is a shortage of outlets on the quiet floors.   

Local coffee shops:

For people who like a little soft chatter when they work, coffee to keep you going late and sweet treats to nibble on while you are working, here are my favorite coffee shops around campus:

• Starbucks
  • Bollo’s Cafe and Bakery
  • Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea
  • Idego Coffee
  • Express Oasis (also known as the Newman Library Cafe)

Pros: Each shop offers a calm atmosphere with a constant level background noise. Also coffee and delicious treats are conveniently available to keep you motivated.

Cons: All of these coffee shops, except Express Oasis, are located off-campus in downtown, but are just a short walk away.  

Drillfield:

This study spot definitely depends on the weather, but is usually a good place to study during the spring, summer and fall. If you love fresh air while studying, then this is the go-to place for you.

Pros: It looks different depending on the season. I suggest studying here during the early fall since it is so beautiful with the changing leaves. There is a lot of room, so you do not have to sit near anyone. Also it is in the middle of campus so everything on campus is easily accessible.

Cons: The down sides that come with this beautiful study scene are that there is poor or no internet connection, no power outlets, rushes of people when class ends and the heat is unbearable if not concealed under the shade of a tree.

Johnson Student Center:

This study spot is up the stairs when you first walk in. The loudness depends on the time of the day you are there (it gets loud during lunch and dinner rushes and there are always people talking).

Pros: It has an arrangement of seating from couches, single-desk seats, to banquet table seating. There is also a Subway and a coffee kiosk on the first floor if you need some food to keep you powering through. A great reason to go here is that there’s always an empty seat since it is not a very well-known space to study.

Cons: Sometimes there are no outlets by where you are sitting and Subway doesn’t take dining dollars.

The Math Emporium:

The Math Emporium is a great place to study despite all the negative things people say when they take their empo classes.

Pros: You can always get assigned to a computer and it is open 24/7 when school is in session. Also if you are working on your math empo class, there are people to help you.

Cons: It can get loud and busy when there is a math empo deadline or if you’re sitting next to loud people.

D2 Dining Hall:

This is the perfect study place for the hungry studiers that are working on a long assignment.

Pros: You can stay there from opening to closing and eat unlimited food.

Cons:  There are only a couple of outlets (usually they are at the booth seats). Also the music is pretty loud in some areas of D2. It also gets busy during lunch and dinner.

Turner Place:

This study spot is dedicated to the unconventional studiers that love a loud environment. It might sound crazy, but the fast pace and constant change of people going in and out makes me work quickly.

Pros: Food options are unlimited and if you are not an easily distracted person, the pace could help you work faster.  There is also outdoor seating in the front if you like to work outside.

Cons: It is always busy and it can be hard to find a good place to sit — I suggest the big dining room on the lower level.

Hopefully you have found a new study spot that interests you! Good luck with your studying this semester!

(Image credits: Torg Bridge / McBryde / Newman Local Coffee ShopsDrillfieldJohnsonMath EmpoD2 /Turner Place)

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!