New York Fashion Week: Looks for Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The day after Labor Day calls for a parade of different designers in New York City to show off the wonders of fall fashion, coinciding with the crisp cooler air and the cozy autumn colors. Aside from the upbringing of new trends, the day after Labor Day means that our noses go from hiding into Teen Vogue — to hiding into textbooks. Loving fashion and being a broke, Top Ramen eating student can be tough, especially when you know that a new Chanel bag probably costs as much as all of your textbooks combined. But finding a few statement pieces of clothing to add to your wardrobe at budget friendly stores allow you to amp up your wardrobe without amping up your debt.

From anxiously waiting for my September version of Teen Vogue to be delivered in my mailbox to following multiple fashion bloggers, The New York Fashion trends have surprised everyone and have done a #TBT to many of the 80’s trends. Ruffles, David Bowie inspired boots, all things shiny, but also fur coats and shearling are a few of the “totally awesome” trends appearing on the runway that would make Madonna proud. In correspondence to bringing back another decade, New York Fashion week included another season— spring! Florals, off the shoulder tops, and sleek, shiny slip dresses are continuing to thrive throughout the chillier weather. Rebecca Minkoff, Oscar De La Renta and Christian Siriano are all fabulous designers that flourished with Fall Fashion Week. But let’s be real here…the prices of some of the items in their collection make us drop our jaw more than when we see “pop quiz” written on the whiteboard. Here’s a few of my favorite New York Fashion Week trends that will make your fall style on fleek.

1. Ruffles

It’s not fashion week, without being over the top but Alexander McQueen impressed his audience with something a little more basic, flowy and feminine. The flirty trend makes an appearance in many budget friendly stores. Target sells this off the shoulder blush colored (major runway trend) that can dress up a casual outfit for only $35. ASOS, a global online store, sells this cranberry colored ruffled skirt that can be either boho or girly with a tan colored floppy hat.

2. Chokers

Designers are bringing back the Lisa Frank and Lizzie McGuire days with the ultimate fashion accessory— chokers. On the runway, Tom Ford was the ultimate winner for having the most oversized choker, giving off that rebellious and rocker vibe. To make the trend more subtle, Missguided has a sleek rose gold choker for $24, making a statement to a simple top or dress. Lulu’s also has an edgy inspired brassy choker that would work with an all black outfit.

3. Metallic Gold

All that glitters is gold. The luxe pattern appeared on Balmain’s and Rachel Zoe’s runways, and the models looked nothing less of Daisy Buchanan. Nasty Gal presents this glam fad with a cute cocktail dress for $24. While Charlotte Russe brings gold, ruffles AND an off shoulder top that is $23. This cropped number could be paired with some vintage high waisted, distressed jeans to tone down the shimmer for sociology class.

4. Tan Tones

Although our tans might fade in September, the classic khaki will never go out of style. Marissa Webb who collaborates with Banana Republic and Michael Kors, (you must know who MK is) both dominated the sophisticated utility look. Although the trend looks quite professional, Missguided and GoJane both have modern clothing pieces that will not get you misinterpreted for Inspector Gadget.

5. Florals

Spring has already sprung, yet it bounces forward to fall! Dark colored florals hit the runway from designers like Jason Wu and LC. Nasty Gal has this flowy and feminine dress for under $50 that would look perfect with some black booties and a white lace choker.

Take these fashion trends for less, and dominate the classroom!

Madison Burke

Virginia Tech

My name is Madison Burke and I am currently a Fashion Merchandising and Design Major at Virginia Tech. Aside from being a busy college student, I love combining my passion for fashion and writing and sharing it with the lovely ladies that follow Her Campus. My likes include Sushi, Chanel, exercising, and make up...oh and of course Southern California weather.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!