This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

The greatest prison people live in is the fear of what others will think. Developing a strong opinion about yourself so that you are not deceived into believing what other people say about you is extremely important when creating your personal style. I am a firm supporter of getting excited about the little things, be it wearing a new outfit for the first time, Sunday brunches with your best friends, finding a dollar in your jacket pocket or laying in bed on a lazy Saturday listening to the rain patter against your window. It is imperative to celebrate these little things that make you happy because so often as people grow up, their passions fade and enthusiasm gets mistaken for foolishness. Don’t let the grey world stop you from shining!

My friend Naire Poole immediately comes to mind when I think of a style icon. Naire is a Theatre major at Virginia Tech where she serves as the Vice President for Alpha Psi Omega, a National Theatre Honor Society, and can currently be seen performing in the documentary play, A Chip on Her Shoulder. What I admire most about her is how she is always unapologetically herself, which is expressed in her effortless style.

CRP: What’s your best piece of style advice?

NP: My best style advice is to wear what you want. Really, just do it. If it makes you comfortable and confident, then follow that intuition and let your soul breathe through how you dress yourself. Yes, there are all kinds of ways to dress for all kinds of occasions, but wear what makes you internally glow. Then, people will just see a shine on the outside.

CRP: Where’s your favorite place to shop?

NP: My favorite place to shop is probably Forever 21. There’s always a wide variety of clothing and accessories and if I need something fast, they usually have something at hand. Either there or H&M.

CRP: What’s your must-have piece for fall?

NP: My must-have piece for the fall is either a thick jacket or a big comfy sweater. The jacket is nice for those days where the day is warm, but the night is cooler and the comfy sweaters are just undeniably a blessing.

CRP: How do you define your personal style?

NP: My personal style is hue-based. I sort my clothes by color. When I think of what to wear, I think, “I like this color. That’s a nice accent. Monochromatic. Complimentary. Analogous.” Those are phrases that come to mind. Or “take this color from here and wear it there.” The color matters to me. Even when it looks off, I know I thought about it.

CRP: Where do you look for fashion inspiration?

NP: If I had to pick an inspiration, more an aspiration, it would be my friend Molly, who I call Moll. She’s super stylish. When you see her, you know it’s her. In that way, she inspires me, solely by reminding me to wear my own style. Make it mine. By confident in it. I aspire to always be authentic and happy in myself. Style is just a part of that.

Catie-Reagan Palmore is an aspiring Londoner and cat lady. She is currently in her third year at Virginia Tech with plans to graduate in Spring 2017. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre with focuses in Costume Design and Performance. Her minor is in International Fashion. In May she will finish her certificate in Fashion Business at Parsons. One of her favorite things about being a Hokie is being a photographer for Humans of Virginia Tech.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!