My Experience as the Only Friend with a Long-Term Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Most people come to college hoping to find the love of their life, but luckily for some of us, we’ve already found them. College is all about socializing and having the time of your life. It can be wild and crazy fun. There are parties and hot guys everywhere you look. This is a single girl’s heaven, but for those of us in a long-term relationship; it is an entirely different set of experiences. Regardless of whether you are single or in a long-term relationship, know that the opinions of others matter very little in YOUR dating life. What is important is that you are happy and aren’t trying to bend into a certain timeline of dating. 

With that being said, I have been in a relationship with an amazing guy for four years. Coming to college, I was the only girl in my group of friends in a long-term relationship and it has been pretty interesting.

You said what?

I can make a room go silent when I say I have a boyfriend and I have been in a relationship for four years. It can be awkward at first, considering that almost all of my other friends are single. There have been times where we’ve been invited to small parties filled with guys and the look on their faces when I say i’m in a relationship is one of pure terror. Oh well for me but yay for my girls. I’ve pretty much became the perfect wing girl.

Tell Me More, Tell Me More

They are all so fascinated by my stories about my boyfriend and I from over the years.They constantly ask questions about how he treats me and things we do. It was shocking to me at first to realize how unrelatable this was for them but so casual for me. We love to share stories about our first kisses, and they love to hear stories about how I resolved old fights, and my favorite date ideas.

“Wow must be nice”

I listen to them go on with conversation about how they want a boyfriend and their daydreams about their crush at least three times a day (I can’t lie sometimes it gets on my nerves). I somehow always find myself listening and giving them encouraging words when things don’t work out and even when they do.  Whenever I’m on the phone or facetiming my boyfriend they give me sassy remarks saying, “Wow must be nice” or “Wow can’t relate,” which is a bit unfair. 

Ain’t No Hollaback Girl

They drag me to endless parties and try to hook me up with other guys, absentmindedly forgetting I am not interested at all. I’m always politely (and awkwardly) having to decline dances and numbers at parties and don’t even get me started on the rude guys who could care less about my relationship status.

Advice Queen

My experience makes me perfect for giving them advice. I’m always here and ready to listen. I’ve also been titled with the position of Inspector Gadget. I admit it is fun to play spy and get the scoop on my friend’s love interests by searching through all of their social media pages and talking to them. I’ve always got my girls’ backs in playing matchmaker.

Speaking of advice, here’s a few of my favorite tips to give to my girls:

• If he’s not trying to get to know YOU mentally, let him go!

• What you see is what you get: how he is when you met him is most likely how he will be for life. You can’t change people unless they want to change for themselves.

• If you met him while drunk, he might not be the best guy in the world. Try to contact him outside of a party when you guys are both sober on a regular day.

• Be yourself! I cannot stress this enough.

At the end of the day I love my boyfriend and my relationship even if it does make me different from the rest of my friends. I’m proud of the fact that they look to me and confide in me, and I love seeing them treated right and having fun, (and of course helping my girls pick out outfits and plan dates isn’t too bad of a job either.) 

Image Sources: 1/2/3/4/5

Hey y'all! I'm a freshman majoring in Multimedia Journalism and Fashion Merchandising & Design. I love all things fashion and beauty and especially writing about them! I dream of one day working for a major fashion magazine in the big city. Until then, you can find me scrolling through Pinterest, watching makeup tutorials, and online shopping!
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.