priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

I Tried the “Boyfriend Does My Makeup” Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

My boyfriend and I have known each other since high school, and though I doubt he remembers, I had pretty subpar makeup skills back then. Over the years I’ve used YouTube to help teach myself about makeup and skin care since it wasn’t something my mom was really big into talking about. I would like to say that I’ve definitely improved in the past year or two and I have my signature look that everyone seems to use to describe me in conversation.

I’ve always seen the challenges on YouTube where husbands and boyfriends do their partner’s makeup, but I’ve never been in a position where I could feel comfortable partaking in it, even if it was just for fun. However, I’ve become a lot more confident in myself which has a lot to do with how comfortable I am around my boyfriend, so I didn’t even question it when he brought up the idea of doing my makeup.

I should preface by saying he’s an amazing artist. He’s drawn all of his tattoos and his portfolio is one that I am extremely jealous of. I envy his talent. So, I had full faith in him that he would use his skills to make me look good, and I secretly hoped he’d watch some of my favorite YouTubers since he’s seen me watching their videos plenty of times. Although it wasn’t quite what I expected, he didn’t do as bad as some of the challenges I’ve seen and if I ever make a YouTube channel I’ll get him to do it again because it was hilarious.

(I didn’t get a good picture in the moment of the entire look, but the triple-wing is the best part anyways)

It was so much fun just watching him trying to figure out exactly what I do everyday to look the way I do. If you’re obsessed with makeup like me, this is a challenge I would totally recommend doing with your partner, because just the look of sheer surprise when they see how much you actually have/use is priceless. If you’re brave you can always step it up and wear whatever they come up with out to dinner or whatever date night activity you choose.

This challenge gave us a chance to laugh at ourselves and each other and it just affirmed my trust for him since I don’t let just anyone touch my face, especially not with makeup. It was such a fun experience and even if you don’t have a significant other you can always try this challenge with your friends and I’m sure it’ll be just as entertaining.

Image Sources:

Gifs from Giphy.com

Photos from Author

Ref Photo

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.