How to go from a High School Varsity Athlete to a Full-time College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

While most adjustments from grade school to college have proven to be difficult, my biggest struggle has been adapting to a non-sport oriented schedule. No rushing to complete homework before practice, no late-night games that result in early-morning pain, and, worst of all, no team to be my seasonal safety net. The adjustments I’ve had to endure have been a see-saw of both physical and emotional withdrawals.  

Let’s be honest, before college the peak of my fitness was during spring and fall seasons. The limbo between seasons was rough, yet the hell during pre-season was even rougher. It has gotten to the point where I even miss pre-season conditioning. Yes, you read that correctly. It is that bad?

Having to calculate your own fitness routine everyday is not as easy as it sounds. I long for the anticipation of showing up to practice not knowing what muscles I would obliterate that day.  Going to the gym and using the same boring routine just doesn’t seem to pay the bills.  And if you are anything like me, you need the blood, sweat and tears to feel a full sense of productivity.   

From one former athlete to another, here are some tips on shifting from the life of a dedicated competitor to that of an unwillingly lackadaisical student.

1. A Healthy Diet/ Hydration:

Let me start out by saying this: the freshman fifteen is real.  Do not convince yourself that a previous athletic lifestyle will override the possibility of weight gain. Say goodbye to post-practice binge eating. Going from a physically straining schedule to a mentally straining schedule can play evil tricks on your stomach. Drink A LOT of water, swap guilty pleasure snacks with healthy alternatives and eat three balanced meals a day. This nutritional discipline will provide you with the energy and health necessary for any major lifestyle adjustment.   

1. Plan a Weekly Workout Schedule

As a previous fitness trainer, I can easily vouch for the benefits of workout planning. In order to rid yourself from workout redundancy, or wasting the first 30 minutes of your gym time figuring out where to start, create a five-day exercise map. This way, you have a plan before you step into the gym.  

How to Outline Your Schedule: The best way to keep a healthy trim is to include no less than 30 minutes of cardio into each workout.  Beginning a workout with cardio gets your heart rate up and allows adrenaline to push you through exercises to follow.  After cardio, cycle through muscle specific exercises (Ex: Monday- upper body, Tuesday- lower body, etc).  It is important to give your individual muscles a break so that they do not strain or overwork.  

1. Intramural/ Club Sports

Get involved!  If you are not looking for a big commitment, join an intramural league!  These short and fun-filled games serve as a great stress reliever with the perfect splash of healthy competition.  If you are interested in something similar to a travel league, intercollegiate club teams are an excellent way to support your school and continue playing the sport you love.   

1. Find a New Niche

Whether or not a team is involved, it is important to find your perfect environment on campus. This can include social or academic clubs, a group of close-knit friends or even a weekly hangout spot. College is about finding your strengths as an individual on this journey to adulthood. Spend your time with peers who share similar tastes, talents or hobbies. Surround yourself with positive company.  You’ll build your own team in no time!  

1. Time Management

Every off season I found myself drowning in boredom. My biggest fear before moving away was that without sports I would have too much free time. Rookie mistake. Campuses are buzzing with life at every hour of the day. Between morning coffee runs, afternoon pick-up games and exploring nightlife, it is not hard to fill the void. Make sure you find the perfect routine to balance all academic, physical and social aspects of your new life. Time management is very vital to staying sane throughout the temptations of college life.

1. Remember the Past but Cherish the Present

Sometimes it can be hard to avoid nostalgia, especially when such a big part your life has been removed. Just remember not to dwell on the past. Use good memories as motivation to make even better ones. My involvement in athletics has given me lifelong friends and memories that I will cherish forever. Here’s to making more friends and making the most out of the best four years of your life!

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.