This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Spring semester is already coming to an end, and that’s pretty hard to believe. This semester has flown by and now that it’s near an end it’s causing stress among many students, particularly those who are not satisfied with their current grade. Yes, school can be very challenging at times and you can even get distracted along the way, but it’s important that you end the semester with a strong grade point average. Here are some tips for finishing out the semester strong.

Don’t procrastinate

I used to procrastinate all of high school, and let me tell you this is not something you should do. It gave me anxiety and stress for weeks leading up to when the assignment was due. It really helps to stay on top of everything and to prepare for exams, assignments and projects in advance. What I use to keep my weeks organized is an online calendar. I enter in all the dates for my assignments, and at the beginning of each week I see what is due soon. I also get notifications for when something is due. Another strategy that works well for people is having a planner. It basically works the same way as an online calendar; it’s just on paper. Using a planner and an online calendar will really help you prepare and stay on track.

Don’t skip class

Don’t let yourself slip behind. It’s a pain and creates a huge amount of stress. Make sure you attend every class. If you are sick or have an emergency, then that is an example of when it’s okay to miss a class. But, going to class is key in achieving a successful grade. If you show up to class, most of the time teachers will give you participation points just for being there, and this can help you in the end if you didn’t complete an assignment to the best of your ability. 

Ask for help

If you feel you are struggling and falling behind in class, reach out and get help from someone. There are so many people who are willing to help if need be. Go to teacher’s office hours. Even though this doesn’t seem like it would help much, believe me it really does! Teachers will realize that you are concerned and that shows you care about your grade and that you really are trying to improve. Another option you have is to meet up with a tutor. There are student tutors available on campus and there are tutoring programs at the student success center.

Take a break and have fun

It is very important to be successful in school and work hard, but it is also important to give yourself a break. Let your brain relax a little bit. Go on a walk with friends, watch some T.V., go  explore campus or go to a party. Really anything social and relaxing will help you out when you need it the most. A bonus is studying while being social, and you can do this by having a study group get together and talk over dinner or dessert. Always make sure to reward yourself for all the hard work you have done.  

Don’t skip meals

I know it can be very tempting to skip meals when you are knocking out all of your work but, it is very important to make time for food. We all know our body functions better when we have eaten. Your work can wait, really. I know I feel sluggish and tired when I haven’t had enough food, so make sure to eat when you’re hungry!

Drink plenty of water

You want to make sure you are hydrated so that you can make it throughout the day. Drink plenty of water most importantly when you are studying. It helps keep you hydrated and focused.

Get a good night’s sleep

You should be getting at least 7 hours a night. If you are getting less than that you need to start planning ahead with your schedule. Don’t stay up all night studying for an exam; instead plan earlier that week when you have free time to study. One thing college students love to do when studying late at night is to drink coffee and energy drinks. This is not a smart idea! If you are tired, then eat something like an apple instead. You may not know this but according to haveanamasteblog.com, apples have around 13 grams of natural sugar which is much healthier than the 4 grams of Sweet’N Low in your cup of coffee.

Study with others

Studying in a group usually always helps me prepare for tests or assignments. In my opinion it’s more fun when you do it with other people. You can make practice study guides and quiz one another. One thing to note though is you need to pick the right type of people. If you know one of your friends will talk for hours, then maybe reevaluate who you study with. In order for your study group to work you need to stay focused.  

Reevaluate your commitments

Towards the end of the spring semester, students have many plans on their agenda. Some include outdoor sports, sorority events, fraternity events, concerts and many other activities. It is important to remember that you do not have to do everything. There is going to be time after finals for you to have fun and hang out with your friends all day long. But, for now you need to really focus on school. You are allowed to have a social life, of course, but make sure to balance that with your academic life so that you can end the semester strong.

Find a quiet study spot

All over campus there are tons of places to study. You can study in the library, a classroom, a coffee shop or even stay in and study in your room. It is up to you where you decide to study, but try to find a place with the least amount of distractions so you can stay focused.

Stay motivated

Throughout the whole semester believe in yourself and don’t give up. Stay positive and know that in the end you are going to be rewarded for all of your hard work.

Alexis Bignotti

Virginia Tech

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.