How To Defeat the Back-To-School Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

In grade school, it wasn’t hard to associate the words “back to school” with feelings of dread, sorrow and irritability. On the other hand, college kids identify these three fateful words as nothing less than excitement and restlessness. On college campuses the first week back to school is one of the most exhilarating and eventful weeks all year. Reuniting with friends, decorating new homes, and having the chance to start fresh make it difficult to enter the semester with negative energy. However, once syllabus week comes to a close, reality hits hard. Once the buzz of new beginnings wears off, in comes the headache of new responsibilities. From experience, I know how easy it is to slip into the pitfalls of college life. Coming from the queen of misfortune herself, here are a few tips on how to avoid the horrors that come with college life.

Spend your dining dollars wisely

I’m just going to come right out and say it: running out of dining dollars was the second worst thing to happen to me freshman year. The first worst thing was when I ran out the second time. Just because you swipe a student ID as opposed to a credit card, does not mean the money is infinite. Unless you wish to live off of instant grits and stale cheerios, I would take this advice to heart. Be conscious of your swipes like your life depends on it. The struggle won’t seem real until you’re the one taking naps during mealtimes to drown the screams of your gurgling belly.

Buy a planner– and actually use it

We all know that one person who bought a designer planner before school and never once opened it. Personally, my discounted Target planner was the one thing that kept me on my toes during the hustle and bustle of first semester. Many students have trouble finding the balance between academic, social and personal lives. Planners help to not only organize, but divide responsibilities into perfect proportions. Without a written reminder of the weeks obligations, it becomes very easy to overbook and overwork yourself.

Make an exercise schedule right away

Getting back to school and adjusting to college life can be tedious and time consuming. The first thing most people cut out of their schedule is exercise. Lack of free time is the most common excuse for physical inactivity. In reality, physical health should be a priority, not something acknowledged in free time. Incorporate weekly workouts into your schedule as soon as possible. If you develop a routine in the beginning of the year, you will be more likely to stay consistent for the entirety of the semester.

Stay in touch with family and friends from home

No matter what I’m going through at school, my friends and family constantly support me. After a stressful week, a bad day, or even the best day ever, it seems easier to turn to those physically closest to you. However, you should never turn your back on those who have been there for you from the start. As an out-of-state student, I go to school 7 hours from home, and my best friend goes to school 10 hours away from me. Distance can appear overwhelming, but it will never stop me from calling my mom after I ace an exam, or ranting to my friends about how I dropped my 24-pack of Activia in front of the entire men’s soccer team. Having a support system both at home and at school can serve as the perfect motivation to remain positive.

Appreciate your youth while its lasts

Imagine the scariest roller coaster you’ve ever been on. You waited in line for what seemed like an eternity. As soon as the gates shut behind you, the only audible sound was your anxious heartbeat. The moment the speed of light ejected you onto the tracks and into the unknown, there was no way to separate fear from excitement. Were you fearing for your life or having the time of your life? College extends that exact feeling into the span of four years. My advice is to embrace that feeling and keep your head back. Next thing you know, you’ll be wishing you could hop back in line for another ride.

Images 1/2/3

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!