Five Reasons Couples Should Not Celebrate Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Valentine’s Day is only a few days away and that means if you have a valentine, chances are that you are frantically trying to plan the perfect day, whether you are feeling an immense pressure to be overly romantic, spending a lot of money on presents with temporarily marked-up prices, or stressing out over if your significant other will approve of all your efforts. For some odd reason, we let this one day define how strong our relationships are and use this day to gauge how much our significant other loves us. Overtime, Valentine’s Day has become a societal norm to celebrate and it is now a status symbol to have a valentine. However, here are my five reasons why you and your significant other do not need to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Reason One: You and your significant other don’t need one specific day to show your affection to each other. Spreading your affection year round is healthier and more fun. In my opinion, I think that casual time spent together is more meaningful than a fancy and forced Valentine’s Day.

Reason Two: Valentine’s Day is just a regular day that has been commercialized. You don’t need to spend your money on presents that don’t have much sentiment. By that I mean the overpriced roses, candy hearts, vaguely worded cards and assorted chocolates. The strength of your relationship shouldn’t be based on how much money you spend. Instead, try to spend less money and more time together.

Reason Three: Avoid the crowds and traffic. Celebrating this popular holiday means that there will be a lot of people out and about at  the same time, especially at restaurants. When you think about it, there’s nothing less romantic than being surrounded by too many people.

Reason Four: Oftentimes, Valentine’s Day covers up the issues of the relationship and is used as a day for making up for the mistakes they have made in the past year. There shouldn’t be a day of buying each other gifts and forced romance that is supposed to fix or improve the relationship. Couples should do that on their own.

Reason Five: Everything about Valentine’s Day makes it seem that in order to be successful and happy, you need another person to love and accept you. In reality, people in relationships often need to find time for themselves and practice self-love. Instead, there should be a day that brings up the importance of self-love and acceptance of yourself.

I did not write this article to tell you to stop giving affection to your significant other on Valentine’s Day, but to say that you should show your love everyday of the year.

Image Sources:

x/1/2/3/4/5

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!