Creative Collab on the GLC

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Hosted by Silhouette Literary and Art Magazine, the Creative Collaboration on the GLC Lawn offered the space for creative organizations to advocate for their missions on campus. With tables lined up on the perimeter of the GLC Lawn, interested students looped around the tables to find out more about what each organization does and how to get involved. Featured organizations included: Blacksheep, Glossolalia Literary and Art Festival, ThriftEd Mag, XYZ Student Run Art Gallery and Studio Collective. Performances were by Juxtaposition Acapella, Mixed Emotions Acapella and DCVT. 

The Her Campus team set up their table, chatted with students and visited neighboring tables, while of course dancing along to the music! 

One of our favorite parts of the event was engaging with the other student organizations. The unifying theme among all these organizations was creative expression. At Her Campus, an online publication written by college women and for college women, we felt community in the shared need and mission to promote creative expression on the Virginia Tech campus. 

(Pictured is Juxtaposition performing in front of the GLC Lawn.)

The event organizer, Silhouette Literary and Art Magazine is a semi-annual student run print and online publication which curates submissions of poetry, prose and photography from students and faculty. Another spotlight organization included XYZ Student Run Art Gallery, which hosts everything from art exhibits to concerts to creative workshops, and more recently the launch of ThriftEd Mag, an online magazine of editorials created with thrifted garments. WUVT, the New River Valley’s alternative radio station, also had a presence at the event. 

Fitting with the theme of promoting publications on campus, many groups displayed their magazines for purchase. As such, the HC team paired some product from their HC Survival Kits, perfect for any woman leader or aspiring writer. 

Actually She Can, “The Success Issue” was a giveaway from the Her Campus team.  A raffle item from HC was the Erin Condren notebook, sticker and marker bundle! 

All in all, the beautiful weather, unity with the creative student organizations and amazing performances made the event a huge success. The HC team can’t wait for the next one! 

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.