Clothing with a Cause: Ivory Ella on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

With generations like ours who are increasingly emotionally connected to issues of sustainability, conservation, human rights and with an overall consciousness of their impact in the world, there is no shortage of market opportunities for soft goods that allow such consumers to literally wear their hearts on their sleeves.

Stevie Mayton, a Virginia Tech student representing the Class of 2019 and pursuing her degree in Animal & Poultry Science and Dairy Science is one such consumer—turned advocate for conservation.

After having an internship caring for exotic animals, she discovered her new passion, “I fell in love with exotics, and my heart went out for these animals, and conservation is something I’ve found I have a passion for,” says Mayton.

“I went from wanting to be a livestock vet to a conservationist.”

What is Ivory Ella?

It’s a clothing company that is affiliated with a lot of different organizations like: breast cancer awareness, the American Heart Association, Toys for Tots, but their priority organization is Save the Elephants with 10% of profits every month going to Save the Elephants. It’s a way for the United States to have direct connections within central Kenya.

How did you discover Ivory Ella?

I love their store, and I saw them on twitter and was one of their first customers.

Ivory Ella urges people to live with the ideas the elephant encompasses. To help others, care about life and support the community through empathy, strength and loyalty.

That’s something I want to live by, support others, support your community.

It captures the value of Ut Prosim.

What is unique about Ivory Ella?

Through its efforts Ivory Ella has helped establish anti-poaching laws and has illegalized ivory trade in Africa.

Recently, they’re recruiting ex-poachers to act as game-keepers of the elephants. They act as rangers throughout Africa and protect the species and use tracking devices to track the elephant.

Besides the characteristics of elephants, they are a keystone species, meaning without them the ecosystem cannot be maintained. It’s not just with elephants, there’s other species too.

What kind of products does Ivory Ella carry?

Shirts, jewelry, water bottles, leggings, undergarments.

Do you think college students are more ethically conscious as consumers?

If we don’t know anything about the world around us, how can we make it better? We are a young generation and the generations after us will have the ability to protect this world and be sustainable for future generations. It’s important to me and to everyone whether they know it or not.

Sustainability matters to everyone. You’re still reliant on animals. There’s an array of crop species that depend solely on the elephant. Without elephants the whole species will be depleted.

What has this role taught you?

Being an ambassador helps me to continue to realize how much better this world could be.

We all have to work together, we are the world. Just like with the values of conservation, we cannot help if we do not connect with other countries and work together.

If this is all that I can do to help, then I’m happy to serve the world.

Stevie is a clear example of a passionate student who has brought focus to a subject that does not receive the necessary attention. Support The Save the Elephants cause, and keep up with Ivory Ella on the Virginia Tech campus by following the Instagram page @vtIvoryElla.

Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.