This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Valentine’s Day… A day that can either be one of the cutest days of your year, or sadly, one of the most bitter. There are two types of people on February 14th. There are the ones who love it and usually get to experience an affectionate day with chocolates, flowers, rose petals and giant teddy bears. Meanwhile, the rest of us scroll on Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram gazing at everyone’s cute dates and gifts while eating away our feelings. I was curious to see what the students at Virginia Tech thought about Valentine’s Day, and how it affects them. Here’s what they had to say:

Fadil Adeyola (’17), “I love Valentine’s Day, it’s like the one day that everybody… well almost everybody can receive/give a little love.”

Katie Ruopp (’20), “Honestly, I hate Valentine’s Day because there shouldn’t just be one day where someone loves another person unconditionally and brings them out on a date only because it’s one day of the year that says so.”

Kyra Parker (’20), “I think Valentine’s day in elementary school was fun, now it’s all about how much you spend on somebody and all the extravagant things. It’s not about the person anymore, people should be doing these things throughout the year.”

Alexandra Holland (’20), “First of all, I don’t think it should be a real holiday. I think it’s just a reason to spoil yourself or significant other a little extra than you normally do. I guess you could say I am kind of bitter because I’m the type to scroll through social media by myself, but on the bright side I’m saving money for my next significant other.”

Natnael Weldegiorgis (’20), “I think people celebrate it for the wrong reasons. It’s my birthday. It’s not about love. It’s about me.”

Jean Sa –Nganet (’19), “I love Valentine’s Day. I feel like it’s a day two people get together and celebrate their love in a different way they may celebrate it any other day. I wish I could spend it with my boyfriend but he’s back home. But I know he’ll send love all the way from home.”

From these responses I think it’s safe to say the two types of people I mentioned above are pretty spot on. I’m glad at least some people enjoy this holiday, as for the rest of us… stay strong!

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com /

• Blacksburg
  • galentine’s
  • gohokies
  • hokies
  • love
  • single
  • valentines day
  • Virginia Tech
  • Her Campus Placeholder Avatar
    Kathrinna Hammon

Virginia Tech

I'm public relations and fashion merchandising and design major, i'm from Woodbridge, VA, I love beauty and fashion and writing for Her Campus at Virginia Tech.
    Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!