7 Thoughts You Have While Visiting Friends at Other Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s safe to assume that most of us have had weekends spent with friends at different schools.  Whether staying in a dorm or at an apartment, trying to successfully weave around a foreign campus can be an interesting quest. Not to mention trying to avoid eye contact while wearing your own school’s gear on enemy grounds. Even if it’s the wildest weekend of the year, there’s still that nagging discomfort of being at a school that’s not your own. Here are a few common thoughts that run through the minds of visiting college students.

1. “Do you think they can tell I don’t go here?”

It could be the uncomfortable look on your face, or maybe the sight of you standing alone while your friends say “I’ll be right back.”   

2. “Our food is so much better”

Once you’ve gotten used to your everyday meal routines, switching it up can be difficult. Especially when the food options are a major downgrade…

3. “No one knows me here I can do whatever I want”

There’s a certain comfort that comes with being in a place where no one knows your name. Take advantage of that.

4. “Can you swipe for me?”

Let me answer this, no they do not take Hokie P. Having to use your own money in an overpriced, yet under-quality dining hall is the biggest struggle. You have two choices: find a generous student to swipe for you, or pay $13 for microwavable chicken.  

5. “Do you have any snacks?”

Personally, I always find myself extremely hungry while visiting other schools.  The separation anxiety from my overstocked dorm snacks is very real.

6. “This campus is so confusing”

No campus is laid out the same. Finding your way around a new place involves a lot of questions for strangers and pretending you know where you’re going while walking around aimlessly.

7. “I want to go home”

With fall break behind us and midterms aside, it’s time to breathe a sigh of relief for being safe and sound in your own college niche.

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!