This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

It’s the end of the semester, and course request results have just been posted. You nervously click on the link to see your schedule, and notice you didn’t get any of the classes you requested. You begin to panic, frantically scrounging through Timetable as you try to throw together a similar alternate schedule, possibly with classes you don’t want to take.

This happens to everyone once or twice at Virginia Tech. If you find yourself in this position, don’t fret. Here’s some helpful tips for the next time around to keep you from yanking your hair out.

1. Review your options beforehand

This is a step that requires consideration before you submit your course request, but it is important. Print out the checksheet for your major and cross off what you’ve already done and see what’s next on the list to finish. Look at the courses you may be taking later in your college career and see what the most common prerequisite is, go ahead and get that out of the way. Strategies like this will help you make the most of your class time at Virginia Tech.

2. Consider your work schedule

This is something that most people forget to do. A large group of students work throughout the semester, but many fail to plan their availability beforehand. Even if you don’t get all the classes you requested in the first place, it is beneficial to plan out when you’ll be available to work for the next semester. This will give you a general idea of your next semester at Virginia Tech and will allow you to get comfortable with your schedule a little earlier. No one wants to give up working or joining clubs because there are no breaks in their class schedules.

3. Put together a back up plan

Again, this is another important step in putting together your perfect class schedule. There’s a good chance that you won’t get the classes you want at least once in your college career. Putting together a back up plan allows you to relieve a little stress once course request results come out. It’s not unlikely that you won’t get at least one class you wanted, so it’s best to always be prepared for the worst.

4. Maintain a balance

Maintaining a balance between the difficulty of your classes is crucial to maintaining healthy stress levels next semester. Loading your schedule full of advanced 4000-level courses to get them out of the way isn’t necessarily smart. This is especially true if you have work or extracurriculars on your plate as well. Choosing a few major requirement classes along with one or two electives is always a good way to keep a healthy balance for your schedule next semester. You will thank yourself farther down the line.

5. Schedule a meeting with your advisor

Don’t forget about your advisor! These people are hired at Virginia Tech to ultimately help you through these academic crises we so-often go through. Write down your desired schedule and visit your advisor, explain your situation to them. Ask your questions! If you are certain you need a specific class, an advisor can also work with you to find alternate solutions, or wave their magic wands and force-add you into the class.

6. Don’t be afraid of CLE’s

If all else fails, look through some other options. Filling up CLE’s is never a bad option, even if it may seem boring and totally different from what you were originally planning. If you have already completed your CLE’s, take a look at some electives you could take. Many majors require certain electives, several majors have an extensive list to choose from. Pick an elective based on your interests and go to town. You don’t always have to go in order down your major checksheet, move around and have an open mind.

At the end of the day, you’re going to graduate. Whether or not you get to take some classes when you want to isn’t always guaranteed, but it’s important to recognize that patience is a virtue in college. Virginia Tech is a home to thousands of Hokies, sometimes making it hard to accommodate the needs of every student when course request rolls around. Be positive, patient, and have an open mind– your perfect schedule is what you make it. You’ve got this.

Image source: Giphy.com

An animal lover who drinks too much coffee, crochets blankets and recklessly loves people. I never underestimate a good book and a pretty view.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!