5 Underrated Rap Songs by Popular Rappers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Rap music can be life-changing. It’s a genre you can listen to with the windows down bumping on the way to a party, or vibing out in your bedroom. Insane lyricism and vibey beats are not the only two components of what rap music has to offer.  I first discovered the versatile world of rap sophomore year of high school, I fell in love instantly and haven’t stopped exploring since. I decided to put together a list of some of the gems I’ve found on my journey that aren’t just Drake’s top ten or Nicki Minaj’s popular bangers. Don’t get me wrong, I love listening to Drake and Nicki, but there’s a lot more to rap than what’s popularized by the radio. Here’s just a few underrated songs from relatively popular rappers.

5. “Nikki” By Logic

You may have recently heard of Logic’s most popular song, 1-800-273-8255, in which he spoke out about suicide and depression. But Logic’s meaningful music doesn’t stop there. “Nikki” is a tale in which Logic unveils his ongoing metaphor of Nikki as his addiction to nicotine. The rest of the Under Pressure album is absolute gold, detailing Logic’s issues with growing up poor, family matters, and drug addiction.

4. “RETRO (Rough)” by Childish Gambino

WARNING, this song will get stuck in your head and you will not stop singing it for days. The catchy beat and funky lyrics will have you hooked. It’s the kind of song you listen to when you wanna feel the music but not full out dance-around-your-room-level. All of Gambino’s songs are simultaneously unique and groovy, so check out his album Kauai if you want more songs like this.

3. “Child’s Play” by SZA & Chance the Rapper

This song is a little more SZA than Chance. Nevertheless, “Child’s Play” is the ultimate chill song. Its relaxed and slow tempo makes you wanna close your eyes and just listen. This is the kind of song that makes you stare out of your car window and pretend you’re in a music video.

2. “Someone Like You” by Mac Miller

Real talk, personal rap is the best. Although Mac is known for his upbeat party music talking about codeine and hating Donald Trump, his less hyped music is amazing. This song is only the tip of the iceberg. More than half of his music includes emotional, deep lyrics combined with somber tones. Check out the rest of his album Watching Movies With the Sound Off along with his album all about love, The Divine Feminine.

1.  “Sun & Good Loving” by Felly

This song is seriously sweet. It retains a very relaxed, loving vibe, emitting only positive energy and is perfect for studying or just feeling good. If you like this song, check out his song “Fabrics,” too.

source for all pictures | Pexels

Yo! I'm Tessa, a meme-loving gal who drinks cherry coke religiously and makes 95% of my decisions based on what Audrey Hepburn would do. You can catch me surfing twitter, jamming to music, writing poetry, hiking, or watching Rick & Morty. Thanks for reading!
Chera Longfritz

Virginia Tech

Just a funky lil girl trying to put my thoughts into relatable words!!! I've had the dream of being Anne Hathaway's character in Devil Wears Prada since I was like three. Maybe without being someone's bitch, but you know, everyone has to start somewhere.