5 Things Liberal Arts Majors Are Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

When I decided to come to Virginia Tech, the first thing that people asked me was “Oh, are you going for engineering?” I probably should have known then that being a liberal arts major at a STEM school was going to make me feel like an animal in a zoo.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Virginia Tech — and I’m honestly so proud of all of the scientific and technology advancements we have achieved. I have nothing but respect for all of the STEM majors, and I certainly could not make it through one chem lab or class in the math empo. But when did we stop respecting people who receive liberal arts degrees? Obviously we can’t all major in the same thing, or there wouldn’t be any jobs. If I decide to pursue a degree in something that I do well in and genuinely love, what’s wrong with that?

Here are a few things that I’ve heard over and over since coming to VT — and for those of you who are fellow liberal arts majors, I’m sure you can relate.  

1. “Wait … what is your major?”

I’m majoring in public relations guys, it’s really not that uncommon. PR is a growing industry, and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we’re expected to grow by at least 6 percent by 2024. The work done by public relations professionals is similar to that of marketing and communications positions. I have the opportunity to work for corporations, political candidates, PR firms or even celebrities in publicity with my degree.

2. “What are you really going to do with a liberal arts degree?”

Well, hopefully I will find a job in the career field that I’m getting a degree in … just like you??

3. “Oh, you think that you have a lot of homework? Look at what I’m doing in my thermodynamics class.”

Yeah, you have a lot of work to do. And I certainly have no idea what thermodynamics even is. But I’m in 15 credits and I work two jobs — do you think that I’m swimming in free time??

4. “That major is so … broad.”

First of all, plenty of people are successful without having a unique and specific degree. For example, most of the classes I take are about communication. What job does not list “must have good communication skills” on their applicant requirements? You can sit in a lab all day and perform these impossible tasks and make discoveries, but if you can’t explain your findings successfully, I’m not sure what you’re going to do with that ‘specific’ degree.

5. “With that degree, you’ll probably end up teaching.”

Even if I did, what is so bad about teaching? Last time I checked, we all need teachers in order to actually be educated.

I’m not trying to pick on STEM majors, and I really do respect all that you do. I just ask that those of you who have said things such as these to a liberal arts major before, please think about what you’re saying before you try to undermine someone else’s career choice. We should all respect and support one another in our individual pursuit of a career we truly love.

Image Sources: GIFs from Giphy.com

Corinne Gorda

Virginia Tech '20

Proud Hokie alum and HC writer since 2017 here! I "graduated" from Tech in 2020 (Thanks COVID) with a degree in Public Relations, and I'm now a junior account executive for a PR agency. When I'm not working or writing, you can catch me spending time with my man, reading teen romance novels, or obsessing over my corgi.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!