This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

There is a reason Virginia Tech is ranked No. 1 for best quality of life as well as No. 7 for happiest students. Here are my top five reasons I am grateful to be a Virginia Tech Hokie:

1. Food

Virginia Tech offers amazing dining services, which were ranked No. 1 three years in a row. No matter what mood you are in, you can find something to eat. Whether you want some fresh sushi, crepes, Chick-fil-a, orange chicken, a homestyle meal or an all-you-can-eat buffet, you can get it somewhere on campus and it will be great. You can also get delicious meals off-campus from places like Cabo Fish Taco, El Rodeo and, my personal favorite, Benny’s.

2. Ut Prosim

Our university’s motto is Ut Prosim (That I May Serve) and service is a huge part of life at Virginia Tech. That love of giving has created a kind and welcoming community of people. From philanthropies to fundraisers, there is always a group on the Drillfield raising money for a cause or a percentage night going on at Chipotle. It feels great to go to a school where people really care about their community and the world they live in. VT also encourages service by hosting several university-wide events including the Big Event and Relay for Life. Participating in these is amazing and really makes you feel like a true Hokie.

3. Hokie Spirit

The love for service and learning Virginia Tech translates into something referred to as Hokie Spirit. It is not something you can easily define or explain, but more something you feel. It is the immense pride and gratitude students feel because they attend Virginia Tech. It is yelling the chants at football games and jumping to Enter Sandman. This school is so loved by everyone affiliated with it, and it shows in the spirit of everyone on campus.

4. Football games

There is nothing like waking up early on a crisp Saturday morning to head over to tailgate at Center Street. Before coming to VT, I was never a big football fan, but I quickly learned to appreciate the sport. I always feel so connected with Virginia Tech when I attend football games and get to cheer for our team.

5. Blacksburg

When I chose Virginia Tech, I was worried that Blacksburg was too small of a town for me. I always pictured myself in big city, but I have come to discover how nice it can be to live in a small town and that it has more to offer than many would expect. I love exploring Blacksburg and finding new studying spots, running trails and places to hang out. Everyone here is so friendly, and you never have to drive more than 20 minutes to get somewhere in town. Blacksburg has definitely won my heart!

Image Sources:

1/2/3/4/5

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!