5 Movies to Watch After a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Breakups suck, and the first couple weeks after one are always the hardest. Your brain wants to constantly think about the relationship and what went wrong, even though you know you need to stop thinking about it. Of all the ways to distract yourself, finding a good movie to watch post-breakup is surprisingly difficult. What’s worse than thinking you’ve found a good comedy, only to get an hour in and everyone is falling in love? Here’s a list of the best movies to watch after a breakup, so you can get back out there and embrace your single life!

1. Kill Bill (Volumes 1 and 2)

You might be a little confused right now, but I promise you that watching Kill Bill after a breakup is amazing. Uma Thurman is a total boss seeking revenge on those who wronged her. She really knows how to kill people in style. These movies are a little gory, but I’d take gory over some grossly cute love story any day.

2. How to Be Single

The title of this movie speaks for itself. How to Be Single is filled with a huge assortment of characters and stories, so everyone can find someone to relate to. The overall vibe of the movie is focusing on how to be happy alone and embrace being single. This is a great feel-good comedy that will hopefully leave you feeling glad you’re single.

3. Bridget Jones Diary

We can all relate to Bridget Jones, whether through her socially awkward moments or blasting Celine Dion’s “All By Myself.” You can’t help but root for Bridget throughout the whole movie as she deals with relationships and breakups. While you’ll love Bridget and her interesting group of friends, you’ll also have a great time hating the guys who do her wrong.

4. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

This movie is all about moving on and getting over your ex. After being dumped by his girlfriend, Peter takes a vacation to get his mind off of her. Except his ex, Sarah, ends up at the same resort with her new boyfriend. A great comedy for learning to move on and realizing that breakups aren’t the end of the world.

5. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

This movie needs more recognition as a great feel-good movie that reminds you how important your friendships are. When best friends Tibby, Lena, Carmen and Bridget go their separate ways for the summer, they promise to stay connected through a pair of traveling pants. As each friend goes through their own challenges, they lean on each other for support. Guys come and go, but the sisterhood is forever.

Don’t forget to grab a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, your favorite fuzzy blanket and some girlfriends before putting one of these classics on! And if all of these movies fail to get you out of your break-up funk, you can never go wrong with Channing Tatum and his entourage in Magic Mike.

Image Sources:

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!