4 Tips to Making Getting Ready in the Morning Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

At the beginning of each semester of school, I always sit down and make a list of goals for myself. Normally they revolve around getting good grades or making time for a hobby. Most of the time, I do a pretty decent job following through with my goals. However, there is one habit that I can never seem to stick with for an entire semester — taking the time to really get ready and look nice four out of the five days of class every week. It’s always easy the first month or two, but by the time I’m over halfway into the semester, my running shorts and t-shirts are calling my name. I have nothing against wearing athletic or lounge clothes to class, I think there’s a lot to be said for being comfortable while being at school. It’s just that I love how I feel when I take the time to put together an outfit every day. So I’ve put together a list of easy tips to make getting ready every morning quick and simple.

1. Plan your outfit the night before

I’ve never been able to successfully create the habit of picking out an outfit the night before. To help me stick with it this semester, I’m going to try and just make it part of my nightly routine. So every night when I brush my teeth, I’m going to pick out my outfit for the next day. This way when I wake up the next morning, the most stressful (and time consuming) part is already done!

2. Embrace messy hair

Now that I’ve moved picking out an outfit to the night before, the most time consuming part of my morning will be dealing with my hair. An easy solution to messy, slept on hair is to just make it more messy! Grab a curling iron and loosely curl random sections of hair until you’re happy with the look. This also works well if you sleep with your hair in braids!

3. Minimal makeup

I know plenty of girls who skip out on makeup, but personally, if I’m going to put effort into my outfit and hair, I might as well throw on some makeup too. I can pretty easily do my basic makeup routine in less than 10 minutes. I put on concealer, eyeliner, mascara, brows and some lip color. Sometimes I’ll use foundation, but only one that has a natural finish to it.  

4. Accessories

One of the easiest ways to instantly look more put together is to throw on some accessories. Necklaces, bracelets, rings and even shoes can all make a huge impact on your outfit. Even if you’re wearing a plain white t-shirt and jeans, adding jewelry, a cute purse and booties can instantly add more interest to your outfit.

Again, there is nothing wrong with dressing down for class. Once finals have started, I’ll most likely be in workout clothes every day. I choose to take the time to get ready every morning because I love the way it makes me feel. Having a productive morning and feeling like I look my best helps me to have a better day. If I feel good about myself, my day will automatically be more positive! I hope these tips were helpful, have a great first week Hokies!

Image Sources:

Rep1 / 2

Fashion Merchandising and Design at Virginia Tech. Class of 2019.
Kaley Roshitsh

Virginia Tech '18

After graduating with a B.S. in Fashion Merchandising and Design from Virginia Tech in 2018, Kaley moved to NYC to start her career with WWD – the authority on the fashion, beauty and retail industries. She is credited with the relaunch of Her Campus at Virginia Tech in 2016, serving as Campus Correspondent for 2 years, building the team to 55+ members while earning multiple Pink chapter level statuses (top-20% of over 330 chapters) and being awarded "Outstanding Organization of the Year" in 2018 at Virginia Tech. Other notable achievements include the annual "Media Mixer" gala and buildout of many strategic content initiatives.