This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Summer break is coming up soon and if you’re like me your days will be filled with school, work, family, and a million other things that make vacations seems impossible. The thing that keeps me sane is taking day trips to some of my favorite places. Hopefully this list will give you some fun and relaxing things to do this summer, especially if you’re looking to work around a busy schedule.

1) Luray Caverns

I was young when I went but it was so fun getting to learn about and look at these crazy spikes that had been made over time by nature. I would suggest bringing a lightweight jacket because even though they say the caverns are humid, they aren’t always the warmest places. The guided tour is only an hour and a half and the walk is over a mile, but it is at a relaxed pace and the organ that plays during every tour is worth the walk.

Prices:

Adult $27

Child (6-12) $14

2)  Virginia Beach

It may not be as nice as the Bahamas or Miami, but it has great places to eat and the boardwalk always has some interesting things to look at. I would suggest getting there early if you want to find really good parking, and make sure to stay hydrated and protected during your day of fun in the sun.

Price:

Whatever you’re willing to spend, but I would suggest at least $50 cash for parking, food, and souvenirs if you don’t bring a wallet.

3) Amusement Parks

There are three main parks, all of which are great and decently priced. Kings Dominion has a water park inside of the park; but, Busch Gardens and Water Country run a special until March 31st where you can get tickets for both parks for the price of one. It’s fun for people of all ages and the funnel cakes and other fun treats make any long lines worth the wait.

Prices:

Kings Dominion (Day Pass)

Adult $45 (Online) or $67 (At Gate)

Kids $45

Parking $15

Busch Gardens (Day Pass)

Adult (10+) $80

Child (3-9) $70

Water Country (Day Pass)

$80 for Busch Gardens and Water Country (March 31st)

Adult (10+) $54

Child (3-9) $47

4) Metro Richmond Zoo

Who doesn’t love looking at cute animals? The Safari Train and Sky Line are great experiences that’ll make you greatly appreciate the beauty of these animals. There’s also a new zipline course which I’m sure would be appealing for anyone who isn’t afraid of heights. You can also hand feed animals, like the giraffes, which is one of the most amazing things you’ll ever experience.

Prices:

Child (2-11) $11.25

Adult (12-59) $17.25

Senior (60+) $16.25

5) Washington D.C.

It is definitely an all day excursion if you choose to go to D.C.. You can drive, take the bus or take the train. Personally, I think the train would be the best option as driving could result in some traffic from the daily commuters, and parking could be a major issue. The museums are obviously the main attraction, as well as the federal buildings like the White House; but there are some other attractions that are popular. Tyson’s Corner is a great stop if you want to shop and Madame Tussaud’s has some disturbingly accurate wax figurines of a myriad of famous and historical figures.

Museums

Price: Free

Tyson’s Corner

Price: Varies

Madame Tussaud’s

Price:

Online $17.60

Walk Up $22.00

6) Richmond Arts in the Park

May 13th in Byrd Park

This is one of my favorite events in Richmond. It has a lot of different vendors and the majority of the products being sold are well worth the prices. I personally love getting to walk around and see the true art culture that is Richmond and I love getting to pick up a few new items for myself and family members. It is outdoors so be dressed for the weather, and be sure to bring cash just in case the vendors aren’t able to accept credit cards.

Price: Varies

Parking/Shuttles: Free

7) Eat Your Heart Out

Kuba Kuba (Dos), Shindigz, Benny’s, Patina Bar & Grille and The Daily Kitchen & Bar are just some of the restaurants in Virginia that I personally love. Kuba Kuba (located in Richmond, VA) and Kuba Kuba Dos (located in Henrico, VA) have some of the best authentic cuban food north of Florida. Shindigz (located in Richmond, VA) is known for their desserts that will leave you craving more. Benny’s is a pizza place in Blacksburg that has slices bigger than your head and is a local hangout for the kids at Virginia Tech. Patina (located in Richmond, VA) is an amazing restaurant that is worth every penny, I practically grew up there and to this day it has a special place in my heart and my stomach. The Daily is a new age, modern and fresh restaurant in the heart of downtown Richmond that has a variety of options that work for almost anyone.

Prices: Vary by Establishment

8) Williamsburg Outlet and Historical District

These outlets are probably my favorites just because of the location and prices. It’s only an hour and a half drive from Richmond and it has something for everyone. There is a small food court but I would suggest going somewhere else to eat. The Historic District has some great little shops and eateries, one that my friends introduced me to is The Cheese Shop. It’s small and has an outdoor eating area and the food is good and not at all expensive. There’s a lot to look at and do in Williamsburg so whether you want to wander around the older Historic District, shop at the outlets or go back to colonial times you’ll find something that will peak your interest.

9) Maymont and Lewis Ginter

If you love gardens, animals, and old buildings these are the places for you. Lewis Ginter is filled with some gorgeous plants and the butterfly exhibit in the summer is not something you want to miss. Maymont is notorious for being the #1 spot to take prom pictures because it is just beautiful wherever you go, and they have animals so what more could you ask for?

Prices:

Maymont: ~$14 for all areas of the

Lewis Ginter:

Adults: $13

Seniors (55+): $11

Children (3-12): $8

10) Lucky 13

If you’re creative or impulsive like me then Lucky 13 may be the place for you. Every Friday the 13th, Lucky 13 has tattoos and piercings for $13 when normally their minimum price is about $50. I’ve gotten all of my tattoos done there and the artists are amazing and extremely friendly. If you go on the 13th I advise you to go early because they are always packed, but normally walk-ins don’t have too long of a wait time. Bring a picture of what you want or close to what you want and they’ll gladly work to give you something you’ll cherish for the rest of your life.

Prices:

13th: $13

Minimum: $50

Image Sources:

All Pictures by: Ashleigh Griffin

All Gifs by: Giphy.com

Ashleigh Griffin

Virginia Tech '19

Ashleigh is a graduate from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.  She received a Bachelor's of Science in Food Science and Technology. Her future career will hopefully combine both her knowledge of the food industry and the importance of marketing and brand management. 
Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!