Meet Break Trip Leader Shannon Lemmer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Name: Shannon Lemmer        

Home town: Ypsilanti, Michigan

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Engineering

Why did you decide to get involved with habitat for humanity at Villanova?

SL: ” I learned about Habitat for Humanity in high school because each spring break my school would send a group of students to help out with HFH for the week, but it was never something that I was involved in high school, but all of my friends raved about the experience. The summer before my freshman year I went on a retreat for incoming freshmen at Villanova called Connections and my small group leader talked about her experience with the Villanova service break experience program so it was introduced to me very early on and many leaders on that retreat talked about their wonderful experiences which made me naturally very intrigued by the idea.”

What was your first break trip experience like?

SL:  “My first service break experience was definitely eye opening.  I was fortunate enough to go on an all freshmen experience to Hickory, NC.  My time in Hickory definitely sparked my love for Habitat for Humanity as an organization.  The mission of Habitat for Humanity and the genuine love shown by all the people that volunteer, donate or are employed by HFH was truly contagious.  One of the most moving and wonderful parts of my first service break experience was having the opportunity to meet the family who would be moving into the house we were making.  Working alongside the family and seeing the house come together so it could be their home where they make memories was something that was nothing short of amazing.”

What was your experience like leading a break trip this year for the first time?

SL: “Leading a service break trip definitely makes my list of top 5 things I have done at Villanova.  It was really special for me to lead a freshmen break trip because that’s how my love for break trips began so I really wanted to be able to share that passion with a group of students who had never been on a service break trip with Villanova before.  I learned so much from my group, my co leader, our advisor, and everyone that we met in Marion, SC.  It was a very rewarding experience.  Seeing a group of students delve into a week of service and really put their whole heart into what they were doing was just so special.  I truly feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to lead such a great group of students and make so many friends that are very passionate about service.”

Do you see yourself continuing volunteer work after college?

SL: “My hope is to do a year of service after graduation.  I think it would be a perfect time in my life to work with an organization for a year and really get to know one area.  I would love to work with Habitat for Humanity, however there are many possibilities, but I would love to have the opportunity to participate in a year of service.”

What made you decide to be an RA? Would you recommend it to anyone?

SL: “I wanted to be an RA because I love getting to know people and I love being there for other people.  It is a really good way to get to know people that you would not otherwise get to know.  I would definitely recommend being an RA because you get to know so many people and it is a really good experience and you learn a lot about yourself.”

What are the best parts of being an RA?

SL: “One of the best parts of being an RA is being able to be there for people.  It is really nice to get to know people I would not otherwise know and get to know employees at the University in different offices.  I feel like I have made my own residence life family and it is a great support system.”               

If you could give one piece of advice to a incoming freshman, what would it be?

SL: “My one piece of advice would be to be open to all the experiences that Villanova has to offer.  Get involved with something that you absolutely love and that you can throw yourself into completely.”

Megan Cahill is a Junior Marketing and International Business Co-major at Villanova University. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Villanova. A Boston native, she enjoys coastal living, iced beverages, and occasionally using the word wicked as an adjective. You can often find her brainstorming in Bartley, adding items to her multiple online shopping carts, and planning her next travel excursion. Follow her on Instagram, @megancahill15