Meet Allison Venella 08′, Director of Student Athlete Development

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

For student athletes, Allison Venella is the go-to girl for any problems that arise. She has taken the Student Services for Student Athletes to a whole new level and is continuing to improve the everyday life for student athletes. She is also a familiar face for many Villanova students, whether it be at an athletic event, at the Davis center, or grabbing lunch on campus.

If you haven’t been lucky enough to meet Allison, her big smile is contagious and her office is always open for advice or information on graduating and working for Villanova University.

Her Campus: What did you major in at Villanova?

Allison Venella: “I majored in political science, and I really liked that major. I also had a general business minor.”

HC: What were you involved in as an undergraduate?

AV: “I was involved with the Varsity Softball team being the manager for all four years. I traveled with the team to all of their games. I also was a student worker so I did some behind the scenes work, helping a little bit with fundraising and office work. I also was a part of the liturgical minister program and was a Eucharistic minister at the 6 p.m. mass (but that time slot doesn’t exist anymore; I feel so old!).”

HC: Did you ever think that you would end up working for Villanova?

AV: “No (laughs)… I didn’t. The story behind how I ended up here is actually related to working as the softball manager. As the softball manager, I worked closely with the equipment staff to make sure all the players had the correct equipment and uniforms. For the year after I graduated, I actually interned with for the equipment department. After I finished the year, I decided it was my time to leave Villanova. But two months later in July, I was called and offered a job with Student Services. I never worked with Student Services, but I decided to take the job. And since 2009, I’ve been here building the program.”

HC: What is your position at Villanova and what is your favorite part about your job?

AV: “The actual title is Director of Student Athlete Development. I’ve been holding this current position for about five years. My favorite part of the job is working with student athletes. I tell this to people all the time: It’s never a dull moment. And that’s the best part.”

HC: What are you most proud of in regards to your work here?

AV: “I am most proud of the organization with the Student Services we offer here. Five to seven years ago, we did not have the programs we offer today.”

HC: What is the most important thing you learned from your college experience at Villanova?

AV: “The most important thing I learned is how to be respectful of other students. Everyone at Villanova comes from different places, different countries, different backgrounds, so the most important thing I learned was how to be respectful and care for one another.”

HC: Do you have any advice for current Villanova students?

AV: “Try as many things as possible! Get involved in clubs and organizations even if you’re tired and stressed and don’t think you can do anymore. Do it because these are the best four years of your life, and these experiences will help you further in life.”

HC: Do you have any favorite memories at Villanova?

AV: “Going to watch Villanova play at the Final Four in Detroit with my sister (2010 Villanova grad) and mom (1982 Villanova grad).”

HC: What was your favorite class here?

AV: “I think my favorite class here was a class called Comparative Education, which I took when getting my masters degree. “

HC: Where is your favorite place to eat?

AV: “Definitely Second Storey in St. Mary’s on West Campus. But when I was an undergraduate, I loved to eat at the “Italian Kitchen,” which is the old Café Nova.”  

Claire Peck is a junior at Villanova University studying Economics. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Villanova which relaunched in January 2015. She studied in Barcelona for the fall semester and loves to travel. Follow her on instagram, @clairepeck