Fifteen Years Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

A Reflection on 9/11 Fifteen Years Later

Our memories are created through the collection of small, meaningful moments in time that shape us into the people we are today. These moments are different for each person, whether it is where we decided to attend college or the day when we eventually get married and have children of our own. Each moment in time carries a different meaning for us.

Fifteen years ago, a moment in time shaped the lives of millions of people not only nationwide, but worldwide. It is a moment in time that we as Americans will remember for the rest of our lives. Every September 11, our memories take us back to the fateful day when our country was attacked, our lives were shaken, but our spirits remained strong. 

September 11, 2001 was a dark day for the lives of everyone across our nation. It was a day of sadness, of fear, of confusion. It was a day when people lost family, friends, colleagues, and teammates. Our country lost its’ citizens, its’ leaders, its’ workers, its’ first responders. September 11 was a day when our nation lost so much.

But on the eve of the fifteenth anniversary of such a dark day, we remember what we, as a nation didn’t loose. We never lost our faith, our fortitude, or our spirit. We, as a nation did not let this day define us but help us grow stronger and smarter. Fifteen years later, we look at this day as a celebration of life, of the heroism displayed by our nation, of the strangers who helped one another and who saved one another.  Fifteen years later, we can say we are proud to be Americans, we are proud of our country, and we are proud of its citizens both here on earth and above us. 

We remember, we celebrate, we never forget. 

*This article is dedicated to all those who perished on September 11, 2001, their families, friends, and loved ones.*