5 Interesting Ways to Wear Your Vest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

Ah, the vest. One of my absolute favorite fall fashion statement pieces. The vest is perfect for fall weather, when it’s too warm for a jacket, and yet you still need a light layer to shield you from the wind. Whether the vest is quilted, denim, or fur, I think it’s easy to get into a rut with what we can wear with vests–and even worse, sometimes we don’t know what to wear with them at all. Today I’m going to share some of my favorite images, courtesy of Pinterest, that give five interesting and unexpected ways to wear your vests this fall!

This is one of my favorite images; I love the white faux fur. This is a great color because it can be matched with virtually anything, and gives a light, airy, feel to your look. White faux fur looks great with neutral colored blouses and sweaters, but I particularly love this vest paired with a chambray button up. If you don’t have a chambray shirt right now, go and get one! 

Don’t put away your bright summer blouses just yet! For early fall, these bright pieces can be paired really nicely with beige tone fur vests. I especially love this look with the orange blouse–orange is a color that easily transitions into fall (leaves, pumpkins, halloween), so this is an easy look to put together. I would also try the vest with a bright pink blouse as well. Before you completely discard summer tops, try them with your vests and see what works!

I was completely obsessed with this look when I first came across it on Pinterest. This is so unexpected and cool, and a look that I definitely plan on trying out. I like that we often think denim vests are only for the summer, but this image is proof that denim vests are another piece that can be carried over into the fall with a comfy sweater.
I must really love orange, because here it is again! Like I said before, orange is a great fall color, but what I love about this picture is the combination of the orange sweater with a hunter green quilted vest. Most of us are familiar with J. Crew’s classic quilted vests, but many of us are also fearful of expanding beyond our safe beige and navy tones. What would one wear with a green vest besides neutral tones? Well here is your answer. It is definitely possible to pair colored vests with other colors, and this is a perfect example. Don’t be scared to try out interesting color combinations, especially this one.

Lastly, I wanted to share with all of you a classic and yet completely fabulous wear to wear your vest–pairing it with some bling! Gold jewelry always looks so glam with fur, and this image really sums that all up. I would definitely recommend a gold or rose gold watch, with lots of bracelets. This definitely dresses up the look, but can be used in day or night. Don’t be scared to pile on the jewelry!

Although it’s still been relatively warm at Villanova, as the days start to get colder, let’s pull out the vests, and NOT get into a vest rut! Make it interesting with a mixture of textures, fun color combinations, and lots of jewelry! Because anyone can wear a vest, but make your vest look stand out!
Samantha Galasso is from Wilton, CT and is the founder of both the Providence College and Villanova University chapters at HC. In her spare time, she enjoys napping, sarcastic commentary, inappropriate jokes, hanging out with her fellow Pi Phi sisters, "Friends" marathons, and general activities being ”liked” by the mass majority of people on Facebook. Her goals in life include writing the next great American novel and making the Billionaire Obituary in Forbes.