5 Fun Halloween Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Villanova chapter.

1.       Go to a haunted house!

There are a multitude of awesome spooky haunts in this area that you can get to fairly easily, but my recommendation would be the Eastern State Penitentiary. You can get there by train or bus, and though it is relatively more expensive it is definitely worth it! The penitentiary shut down years ago and fell into disrepair until it was closed off and made into a museum. Al Capone served time there, and I’ve heard that the haunted house is so scary people have peed their pants…

Check it out here

2.       Pick your own pumpkin, and carve it!

Along with a multitude of haunted houses, there are also plenty of orchards around the Philadelphia area that have pick-your-own pumpkins and apples. I recommend Linvilla since it’s the closest and most convenient. This is also a little pricey, but going in bigger groups will help with that. Everyone can have a pumpkin! And apples and apple cider and apple cider donuts…all the wonderful things about fall in one magical place.

Check out Linvilla Orchards here.

3.       Make homemade Halloween treats (or witch’s brew)

I don’t know about you, but I really can’t go on pinterest right now without craving any kind of sugar. My personal favorite is caramel apples. They’re pretty easy to make and so delicious—as long as you don’t rip any teeth out. If you are interested in have a more “adult” concoction, check out a couple easy recipes for “witches brew”!

4.       Watch a genuinely scary Halloween movie, followed by Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus

I’m not one to enjoy scary movies, especially around this time of year, but I’ve heard that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre will help you get nightmares, along with Friday the 13th. Check out Calli’s article on the best Halloween movies to watch!

5.       Get a black cat. Or just dress like one.

Okay, I guess that’s just me. I can’t wait to dress up like my black cat for Halloween but on a real note, ladies: try not to dress  too scandalously this Halloween. Remember the temperature and be original! If I see one more Catholic school girl costume, I may scream.