This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I will never forget the first time I went zip lining. I was in Honolulu, Hawaii, with one of my best friends and we wanted to do something adventurous. I always go through phases in my life where I want to do something completely out of character and then I back out of it two days later. The entire time before my friend and I went to Hawaii, we kept saying we were going to zip line since we both have never done it before. Deep down, I was extremely nervous to zip line. The thought of only being attached to a pulley terrified me. However, I knew that this was going to be a once in a life time opportunity and that I needed to step out of my comfort zone.

When I finally let go of the mounted slope and zip lined across Kualoa Ranch, I felt truly alive. It was truly the most exhilarating thing I had ever experienced in my life. I went from shaking with anxiety to be the first person to volunteer to participate in the next zip line. I had never felt more alive in my life and it made me so happy that I went outside my comfort zone.

I’m so used to living the same kind of lifestyle. I have the same friends, same job, and the same life. Sometimes it’s good to get out of your comfort zone and to try something you would’ve never imagined yourself doing.

I truly believe that stepping out of your comfort zone helps you grow as a person. Like I said before, I was so used to living the exact same lifestyle, that doing something out of character was mind blowing for me. Ever since I went zip lining, my entire perspective on life has changed. That may sound crazy, but it truly made me realize that there was so much more to do in the world.

Even though I believe that it’s good to get out of your comfort zone, that doesn’t mean I believe it’s okay to go crazy with it. When I say it’s good to get out of your comfort zone, I mean it’s good to go somewhere you’ve never been before or try a new activity you never thought you would do. What I don’t mean is doing something life threatening. It’s good to get out of your comfort zone, just don’t risk your life in the process.

I definitely plan on going out of my comfort zone more in the future. There have been so many instances where I’ve been simply too scared to try something new. After I tried zip lining for the first time, I realized there’s so much out there in the world that I haven’t done and I can’t wait to begin my journey to do it all. 

Photos by Alexis Baines

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!