Why Everyone Needs to Own an Orchid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We all have that one friend in college that went to the SPCA and “accidentally” bought a pet without ever solely owning one before. Pets take a lot of responsibility! It’s a life you have to care for, whether it’s a cat, dog, bunny, snake or lizard. Why learn the hard way? Before you go out and copy your friend, here’s why you might want to consider owning an orchid first. 

1. Orchids need attention.

​​If you want to teach yourself the responsibility of caring for a living being, orchids are perfect for you. They require a regular watering routine, proper lighting and the right amount of humidity. This is a plant that you don’t just sit in your windowsill and call it a day.

There are tons of websites and local sources that have tips and tricks on how to be a successful orchid owner. They’ll teach you signs of when it’s the right time to water your plants as well as how much water you should give them. Check out some orchid YouTubers as well for more information! 

2. When they bloom, it’s like you just had a child.

There’s nothing more rewarding and exciting than waking up to one of your buds starting to open. Healthy buds are a sign of you properly taking care of your plant. Give yourself a pat on the back. Once you get a few buds under your belt, you’ll start to recognize when a bud is about to bloom and how long it will be until it does. You’ll be a plant whisperer in no time.

3. They help you problem solve.

I promise you, it won’t always be smooth sailing with your orchid. Things happen to them and you’ll need to know how to nurse it back to a healthy state.

Bud blast is a common problem orchids get when you transfer them to different environments. Say you go to the store and pick one out, take it outside to your car during a cold winter day, and then take it into your home – there’s a possibility that some buds could die due to the climate change. Don’t worry, though! Do your research, stabilize its environment and it should start to perk up again. 

4. There’s a great community surrounding them.

Orchid lovers aren’t going to turn their backs on you! If you live in the Richmond area, go visit Chadwick & Son Orchids, Inc. located behind the VMFA. They’re a great local store with a variety of options and are enthusiastic about helping new owners pick the right plants.

There’s also orchid shows that come and go with beautiful plants! A good place to check out some orchids in a natural setting is the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. They have a greenhouse full of exotic flowers.

So whether you’re looking for a new hobby, want to make new friends or want to get a little bit more responsibility before owning a pet, you need an orchid in your life. Plus, they have a bazillion different colors, patterns, shapes and sizes. Just make sure you start off with something easy. 

Cover photo credit

Madison is a senior at VCU and is double concentrating in Print/Online and Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Gender, Sexuality and Women's Studies. She is kind of obsessed with Kate Spade bags, enjoys being near the ocean, dreams of owning a flower shop and can't live without her Canon. She likes writing about topics that impact people and shoots portraits in her free time.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!