What My 5 Year Relationship Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We are all searching for someone to be our partner in crime in life. Someone to make us laugh, smile and pick us up when we’re down. I’ve been in a relationship with the same guy for five years now, which is a long time for someone who’s only 21. My boyfriend and I have been through a lot together, just like a normal relationship. People ask me all the time, “What’s the secret?” The truth is I have no idea, we are still growing and learning together as a couple every day. But here are a few things that my 5-year relationship has taught me:

1. Accept that you aren’t always right

You may fight every once in a while and disagree on things, but don’t get all hyped on being right. You could defend your case till you’re blue in the face, but is it really worth it? Who cares about who’s right or wrong? Just agree to disagree and move on.

2. Communication is key

Talking to your partner about anything and everything is important. It’s okay to leave a few little personal details out, but for the most part sharing with your partner is key. Communicate with each other, tell them if you are feeling a certain way and don’t just rue in your own feelings or problems.

3. Don’t cut others out

Your SO shouldn’t be the only important person in your life. Don’t get all wrapped up in your relationship and stop hanging out with your friends or spending quality time with your family. It’s healthy to spend time with others and be your own person.

4. Little fights every once in a while are good

Fighting over stupid things every once in a while are good, it means you still care. There’s still something to fight for. If you stop having little fights, that’s a problem.

5. Doing nothing together is just as fun

You don’t have to go on a fancy date night all the time. It’s just as fun to pig out on greasy food and watch Netflix together.

6. Make time for each other

It’s hard to find balance in life between all of your priorities and your relationships, especially in college. College may keep you busy and you may not see each other as much as you wish, but it’s always important to make time for each other. Spending time together when you’re busy makes you appreciate what time you do have together.

7. You don’t have to be together 24/7

Being attached to your partner at all times is unhealthy. Take time for yourself and to catch up with friends. You still want to be your own person and have your own identity despite being in a serious relationship.

8. Make each other laugh

If you can make each other laugh and cheer each other up, then you’re golden. Be complete weirdos and have fun being goofy together.

9. Do simple things for each other

Buy each other dinner, take care of your SO when they are sick, surprise them with their favorite candy. You don’t have to do grand romantic gestures, simplicity is key.

10. Always put forth effort

Just because you’ve been together for a long time doesn’t mean you stop trying or showing them that you care. Put forth an effort and let them know you love them. Tell them you love their smile or text them something sweet to make their day.

No couple or relationship is perfect, there are always ups and downs. But if you love each other and can’t imagine your life without each other, don’t give up and face your problems head on together.

Photo credit: cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. 

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!