andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Going on Vacation With Just Your Significant Other is Like

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When my boyfriend and I left on our first solo vacation together in the nearly four years we had been dating, I had no idea what to expect. We had enjoyed long weekends together and spent the night with each other at least once a month, but we had never gone on vacation just the two of us. In fact, this was the first vacation I had taken without someone I was directly related to in my 19 years of life. I was so excited, but also incredibly nervous—would I want to kill him by the time the week was over? Could we cohabitate in a tiny condo together without both of our solitary natures alienating us?

Going on vacation with only your significant other is a big step—whether it’s a two-day weekend getaway or a two-week long cruise, there’s a lot to think about and prepare for. It’s your first experience with pseudo-living with them, seeing what they’re like at all hours and being around them and only them 24/7. Regardless of where you’re going and what you’re doing, here’s what you can expect from going on vacation with your significant other.

1.You’d be surprised how little you get annoyed with each other.

Unless your personalities completely clash/they consistently chew with their mouth open, it’s surprising how little time you have to get annoyed. Especially if you’re going to an amusement park or a vacation where you’re doing something all day every day, you’re too focused on having fun with your S.O. to get annoyed by being consistently close to them.

2. Playing house (or hotel room) is incredibly fun for a few days at a time.

The best thing about going on vacation with just your S.O. is that you get a glimpse into what living with them would be like without having to sign a lease. Luckily, everyone is (usually) their best selves when they’re on vacation, so you get all the good parts of living with your S.O. without fearing a breakup.

3.There’s something really special about being with your S.O. in a different place.

Even if you’re just walking around a different state or going to dinner, there’s something pretty magical about doing all those normal things with your S.O. in a different location. Even if it’s just a weekend in a B&B in the next town over, doing everyday things somewhere other than you usually do them has a certain romantic, magical quality to it.

4.Traveling to get to your destination can be more fun than the actual destination.

Whether it’s a road trip, train ride or plane trip, traveling somewhere with your S.O. can be the most fun, underrated part of a vacation. There’s something special about a long day in the car/train/plane with nothing but each other and the road/rail/air. Make sure to make a fire playlist and make up a list of all the places you want to see on the way—it makes the trip a little longer and that much more fun.

5. It’s basically a honeymoon without the lifelong commitment part.

You get all of the good parts of going on a honeymoon (new environment, just each other, a romantic atmosphere no matter where you go) without the whole ‘til-death-do-you-part bit (yet, at least). It’s good practice to see what your actual honeymoon would be like—that is if the vacation goes well.

No matter where you end up going or what you end up doing, there’s some of what you can expect from going on vacation with just your S.O. What else have you experienced on a vacation with them, collegiettes?

Image sources: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!