This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

We’ve all been told that manners matter, but manners change ever so slightly based on where you are, and that’s no exception to colleges. Each college comes with its own little set of unspoken rules, and it takes some a little longer than others to understand all of them. Here’s the etiquette you need to know on VCU’s campus:

1. One person per section in Cabell’s revolving door.

Unless you know them, don’t hop in so you don’t have to wait two seconds longer. Most people don’t like even their best friends in that close proximity to them, so be respectful.

2. Hold the door open for people behind you.

This is applicable everywhere, whether you’re on VCU’s campus or not. If there’s someone close behind you, take the time to hold the door (be it elevator or regular) open for them. It’s your one good deed of the day and will probably make them smile. If you’re the person who had the door held for them, be sure to thank them.

3. Save the big Cabell tables for big groups.

Don’t be that guy that sits at a table meant for 5+ people, rendering it useless for a large group. Find a small table or desk like everyone else and be courteous. Same goes for huge booths.

4. Don’t hover around someone else’s dog.

Even if it’s those two adorable golden retriever puppies, don’t plop down on the floor and cuddle them for five minutes. I know it’s tempting, but just pet them for a second and move on. Their owner most definitely knows that they’re adorable and probably needs to be somewhere. If it’s your dog or your friend’s dog, have at it. 

5.  Wipe the machines down after you’re done at the Cary St. Gym.

This is not only courteous, but sanitary. It doesn’t matter if you used the machine for two minutes or two hours–when you’re done, wipe it off. 

6.  Acknowledge the people who are tabling.

Even if it’s just to shake your head or say “no,” at least acknowledge their presence. There’s nothing more disheartening than when someone pretends you don’t exist.

7.  Be respectful of the homeless.

Because Richmond is a large city, there’s more than a few homeless people. Respect them and don’t make their lives any harder–they’re people too. 

8.  Know what you want when you’re ordering.

There is NOTHING more annoying than waiting in that 45-minute line at Panda or Starbucks and having your wait extended because the people in front of you don’t know what they want yet. Take the time you’re in line to decide what you want so you’re prepared when it’s your turn.

9.  Respect the silent floors in Cabell.

Even though the third and fourth library floors are meant to be silent, there’s always that one person who decides to take a FaceTime call or blast their music and annoy everyone around them. If you feel like being social, the first and second floors are for you. 

10. Be a swifey.

Freshmen, this is for you. If you have 40 swipes left by the time finals week rolls around, swipe your upperclassmen friends or those pour souls hovering outside of Shafer in need of food. Not only is it a great way to use up excess swipes, you’re also feeding the hungry (upperclassmen, that is).

11. Respect students with different mindsets than yours.

VCU is a very large, liberal school, but that definitely doesn’t mean we all think the same. Be it politics or the environment or religion, be respectful of the fact that not everyone is going to agree with you. You might question if Trump supporters at a school like VCU exist, but they do and they are very intelligent people, just like you. 

12.  Be courteous of the houses you go to parties at.

Yes, there’s probably already a sticky film on the floor and the bathroom is probably disgusting, but that does not mean you should make it worse. Someone lives in that house and is going to have to clean up all the mess afterwards, so keep your spillage to a minimum and try to aim for the toilet if you need to throw up.

13. Don’t laugh if someone trips over the sidewalks.

You know you’ve done it yourself. Just pretend you didn’t see and/or help them up.

14. Consider those around you.

Those random passerby probably don’t want to hear your conversation with your BFF about which is the best song on Views. Use headphones if you’re having a phone conversation unless you’re in the confines of your own room. 

15. Don’t cut the line.

Most of us learned this in elementary school, but some people have forgotten it. Even if your friends are in the front of the Chick-fil-a line on a Saturday, wait your turn just like everyone else. It’ll be less likely to start a riot. 

16. Be a good pedestrian.

Some VCU students act like they have a death wish and walk in front of traffic/bikers/longboarders like it’s nothing. Unless there are absolutely no cars coming or you have time to make it, be a good pedestrian and wait for the light to change or move when you see a biker coming. 

Emily is a part-time coffee addict and a full-time English and Public Relations student at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys all things punny, intersectional feminism, Chrissy Teigen's tweets and considers herself a bagel & schmear connoisseur. You can probably find her either listening to the Hamilton soundtrack or binge watching The Office for the thousandth time
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!