Style > Beauty

Survive the Transitioning Weather with These Simple Beauty Tactics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Winter is approaching quickly, and we know what that means: hot chocolate, holiday movies and ugly sweaters.  It also means frost bitten skin, chapped lips and brittle hair. As the weather is getting colder, it’s important to take action to ensure we’re looking and feeling our absolute best on the inside and out. Here are some super easy beauty hacks that can help save your lips, skin and hair as the temperature drops. 

Lips

• Petroleum jelly is always a cheap and easy life saver. 
  • Try mixing peppermint oil with your favorite lip gloss to plump and hydrate your lips.
  • Lip scrubs are great for keeping your lips soft and smooth.
  • Make yourself some tea and then lay the tea bag over your lips.  This is another great way to heal your lips and keep them hydrated.

Skin

• Towel down and then try applying your body lotion in the shower.  The steam in the room will help lock in the moisture.
  • Turn down the temp in the shower. Although a hot shower on a cold day may sound great, the hot water is actually burning away your outer layer of skin.  This makes you vulnerable to dry skin.
  • Let your humidifier run overnight to give your skin a moisture boost while you sleep.
  • Avoid harsh cleansers and toners that strip away your skin’s essential oils and try out a gentle foaming cleanser or cleansing milk instead.

Hair

• The cold only worsens already damaged hair. Use some vitamin E oil to seal those split ends.
  • Find a moisturizing sulfate-free conditioner you love and treat your hair regularly.
  • Fight the winter frizz by simply rubbing dryer sheets on your hair. You’ll see instant results.
  • Take your vitamins! Protect your hair from the inside out and get your doses of Biotin, Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Vitamin D.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!