Struggles of Being an Out of State Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I remember walking into Brandt Hall as a freshman with all my bags and books, ready for a new chapter in my life. I remember the excitement that lingered across the hallways and rooms. I could feel the pinch of nervousness that came in those boxes, filled with dorm supplies. But the hardest pain of all, was saying goodbye to my mom, my dad and my little brother, as they made their way back six hours to New Jersey. There I was, standing alone, confused, nervous and worried about what Virginia Commonwealth University would hold for me.

After living in Richmond for one and a half years now, I’ve started to realize that those out-of-state struggles will never leave.

As I started to go around campus, I realized that a good chunk of VCU are all in state students. Most of my friends were able to go back to their homes every two weeks or so, and just the thought of being my own bed in my own home brought me to tears. Dorm life made me miss my mom’s home cooked food, my dad’s annoying pep talks and my brother’s constant yapping about basketball. As the semester would go by, it would get harder not seeing them as often. As much as I don’t like to admit it, being away from my family made me appreciate them more, even though there were some days where they would drive me crazy. But in the end, a crazy family is what keeps you sane.

Being a girl living in a small town with the same friends for basically my whole life, making friends in a place where I don’t know anyone was probably the most hardest transition coming to VCU. It was also really hard to adjust with the fact that I won’t have the same closeness I did with my friends back home. It took me a while to realize that I have to move on from the high school friends I made, and at the same time not have the expectations of a strong bond so quickly. Although it took me more than a semester to learn that, I’m happy with all the friendships I’ve made here and couldn’t be more happier.

College in general gives you a new sense of responsibility. But being in a different state, I catch myself saying, “Woah, this is a whole new level of adulting.” Living alone as an 18-year-old is a HUGE deal. You are responsible for your own health, your bills, possibly a job and the biggest responsibility of all, finding cheap train/bus/plane tickets back home! It took me a while to keep up with it and there were times I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. But in the end, I’m proud to say, I’m much more responsible and independent than I was two years ago.

I do have my days where I wish a trip back home wouldn’t be six hours long. Despite all these struggles, I’m thankful for my family’s support, my friendships I’ve made so far and the responsible adult I’m slowly turning into. So for my fellow out-of-state students, it may be hard at first, but it’s all an adventure in the end!

Photo Credits: Cover Photo by Audrey Ampomah, 12, 3

Gargi is currently part time editorial team member at Her Campus as a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. Her hobbies include drawing, blogging and painting. You would most likely catch Gargi eating Panera and binge watching to New Girl or Once Upon A Time. Although she is a biology major, she find writing inspiring and a way to express feelings that she can't say in person. She sees herself working in the Public Health field in the future.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!