The Real Freshman 15: 15 Activities You Must Do During Welcome Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Take it from the upperclassmen, Welcome Week is undoubtedly the most exciting, fun-filled week of the entire semester (and probably the whole year). From parties, to free food and t-shirts, to just getting the chance to explore the city and the excitement of your new home, this week is sure to live up to the hype.

As Welcome Week quickly approaches, you should know the best ways to make the most of your welcome week experience- here are some events and tips you should make sure not to forget.

1. Do your summer reading ahead of time so you don’t have to do it during Welcome Week

Your summer reading is a critical part of starting out on the right foot with your English class first semester, so make sure you read it so that when Welcome Week rolls around, you can spend it mixing and mingling instead of stuck in your dorm, desperately printing out Sparknotes.

2. Find your classes ahead of time so you aren’t late on the first day

The first day of my freshman year, I devoted 30 minutes prior to each class just to finding where my classes were. What a waste of time! Not only did I totally look like the lost freshman with my map out and confused look on my face, but I realized it only took about 10 minutes to get to each class so I was sitting outside of the classroom for about 20 minutes. Why bother? Make sure to catch the ice cream social and class tour on Monday, August 18 to get familiar with your new campus!

3. Personally meet everyone on your floor

So you’ve met your RA and you’ve met your roommate — now what?

Meet the girls or guys you’ll be spending the next nine months living (and sharing a bathroom) with! Invite them out to get some food, go to an event or watch a movie! The faster you break the ice with your new floormates, the more smoothly running into them at 8 a.m. with your bed-head will be.

4. Get used to the food — you’ll be eating it for nine months

Now that you’re on campus and have over 200 meal swipes to use, it’s time to check out the food options. With so many food places, it’s probably a good idea to try them all and find out which ones you like and which ones you don’t. Hint, hint: Bleecker St., Jonah’s and Cary St. Deli are a must to try out! Also during Welcome Week, remember to keep track of what you can get for a meal swipe at each place and when swipes are accepted.

5. Actually go to the events!

With all of the parties and social events going on at night during each day of Welcome Week, it’s extremely tempting to just enjoy the nightlife and sleep in the next day; however, keep in mind that many of the important Welcome Week events happen in the morning, so be well-rested and ready to check out all that VCU has to offer during this amazing week.

6. Attending interest meetings

Want to be a part of student media? A social-justice club? A spiritual club? A lot of these organizations have interest meetings during Welcome Week. Students who are interested should attend the interest meetings before they go check out the clubs at SOVO fair, because meeting the president of a club when there are 50 people in the room is much more memorable than meeting them when there are 5000 people in the room.

7. Spirit Walk

Following the New Student Convocation is the Spirit Walk! All of the freshman will be walking down Broad St. with the marching band in their class t-shirts and very own VCU sunglasses! This walk shows just how much Ram pride the freshman class has and how VCU takes over the entire city!

8. Welcome Week Block Party

Free food — should I say more? Be sure to check out the Welcome Week Block Party, right after the Spirit Walk for some free food, free t-shirts, a DJ and a great time! This was probably one of my favorite events during Welcome Week! It was such a blast to see how energetic and excited the whole campus was for the start of the new year!

9. Walking tour of Richmond

Don’t let the heat stop you from taking a walking tour of your new city — RVA! Check out museums, the river, shops and more on these guided tours, such as the one on August 21 at noon in the Larrick Student Center

10. SOVO Fair

Considering you only spend between 13 to 18 hours actually in class, you probably want to do something else to occupy your time here at VCU! Heading to the SOVO fair to check out the over 500 clubs and organizations VCU has will give you a leg up during the semester. Meet the clubs, sign up for the interest meetings and turn in your raffle tickets for the chance to win prizes such as an iPad, a flat-screen TV and a semester of FREE in-state tuition.

11. Check out Cary St. Gym

If you haven’t yet checked out Cary St. Gym, you’re really in for a treat. According to *VCU’s website, this enormous gym features:

• 2 heated indoor pools, pool features slide and play area
  • Leisure pool features large, multi-person whirlpool spa, vortex, walk-in entry, 2 lap lanes
  • Rock climbing wall with bouldering/caving wall, belaying classes
  • 18,000 sq foot fitness center
  • Over 185 pieces of fitness equipment
  • 7 weight circuits
  • 4 court gymnasium for basketball, volleyball, table tennis and badminton
  • Multi Activity Center (MAC) with indoor turf for soccer, dodgeball, and more
  • Indoor running track: 9.5 laps/mile interior lane, 8.4 laps exterior lane

And if that’s not enough to get you through the door, the gym also has daily yoga, Zumba and hip-hop cardio classes for free!

*http://www.recsports.vcu.edu/facilities/cary-street-gym/

12. Food Truck-A-Palooza

Everyone knows food trucks own Richmond. From Goatocado to Olio’s, VCU is filled with food trucks to cater to hungry students going to and from classes! During Welcome Week, VCU is handing out free vouchers to sample all of the different food trucks in the area. Food Truck-A-Palooza will take place on Floyd Avenue in front of the University Student Commons on Saturday August, 23 from 4 to 7 p.m.

13. Water Wars

VCU students are invited out to the Cary Street Field on Thursday, August 21 at 5 p.m. to celebrate the beginning of the new school year with water-filled activities such as the  faculty/staff dunk tank, water balloon war zone, slip’n’slide and water slide. Come to dunk your teachers in a pool of water, come for the free “Water Wars” t-shirts which are given to the first 100 student attendees, or come for the free ice cream for the first 500 students who are ready to be wet and wild!

14.  Eating at the Village Café

If you haven’t been to the Village Café, trust me — you’re missing out. Located on the intersection of Broad St. and Grace St., this VCU gem offers great food, delectable milkshakes and a super Ram-friendly atmosphere!

15.  Checking out Belle Isle

My favorite spot in the city hands down is Belle Isle, and there is no better time to go check out why Richmond is called the River City than during Welcome Week! Put on a bathing suit or a pair of sneakers and go explore this famous park, from its trails to its waterfront, you’re sure to fall in love with this beautiful spot!

Hannah is a Public Relations graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University with an affinity for blogging, food, culture and learning about the world. She has a serious case of wanderlust and hopes to one day work for a lifestyle and PR firm, as well as publish books and documentaries focusing on leisure and travel. To read more of her work, check out her own personal blog at www.thinkingbrave.com or her personal portfolio at clippings.me/hannahkhan
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!