The Power of Positive Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I have always been a girl with big dreams, and when I came to college, I felt like it was finally the right time to start chasing them.

But how do you chase a dream? How do you take a goal or a want and make it come to life? This is when I turned to the internet and discovered something that would truly change my life forever: the law of attraction.

The law of attraction basically states that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life. Although it may seem like an obvious law to some, reading about it completely changed my mindset. I realized that if I actually wanted to achieve my goals, I would have to get rid of all of the doubt I had in myself (and trust me I had a lot) because this doubt was going to hold me back from beginning the journey to accomplish my goals.

Think about it. If you don’t believe that something is possible, then how is it suppose to happen? This goes for basically anything whether it be to land a certain job, or to finally purchase that car you have always wanted. Nothing can happen unless you fully believe that it can.

Our thoughts are so much more powerful than we think. If we are constantly thinking in a negative way, then negative outcomes will occur. Instead of thinking about how you will never get an A on this upcoming physics test, change your mindset. Tell yourself that you WILL get that A and then you will be one step closer to making that happen. You’d be surprised at how effective this small change in thinking really is.

Start by writing down all of your wishes and wants. Make a plan, and then believe in that plan wholeheartedly. Just doing this alone puts you on the path to manifesting these wants. If you don’t believe wholeheartedly that you can do something, then it is much more likely not to happen. Imagine yourself on the level you want to be at. Imagine you already got that internship or that good grade. Tell yourself you are good enough and that you can do it. Doubt never helps anything, it only stands in the way. 

If you are to take anything away from this article then let it be this: what you think about, comes about. Be positive. Have an open mind. As cliché as it sounds, truly anything is possible if you believe in yourself. Remember that.

Image Credits: Thumbnail

Sarah Carr

Virginia Tech '20

Sarah is a current senior majoring in multimedia journalism and minoring in sociology. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!