How to Have the Perfect First Date: Tips from Real VCU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The “perfect first date” eludes many collegiettes. No matter what you do, sometimes your hair frizzes, your eyeliner smears, your date proves to be less-than-charming, your mother calls in the middle of dinner, you say something embarrassing or that nasty green speck of spinach appears between your front teeth. A little preparation and effort can help smooth over the worst of these potential date-ruining disasters.

We asked VCU students to share their tips for a successful first date. A majority of students said attention to hygiene is the easiest (and most important) way to prepare. Your date will appreciate the effort and you can be sure you’ve put your best foot forward.

According to many VCU ladies, no date-night purse is complete without gum, lip balm, deodorant or tissues. Others emphasize a need for freshly shaved legs and perfectly tweezed eyebrows. Sophomore Sidrah Alam said it is important to look your best in order to feel your best. “I would make sure my hair is perfectly silky, smooth and straight,” Alam said. “Then I’d be confident enough to have a camera with me to capture every single moment.”

Compelling conversation can make or break an evening. Some students suggest thinking about a few topics in advance so you have something to fall back on if the conversation starts to falter. Freshman Michael Musatow said good conversation can help reduce any first-date awkwardness. “Stay engaged in the conversation, ask the other person questions and be interested in what the other person is saying,” Musatow said. “People generally like to talk about themselves and it takes the pressure off of you.”

Going out for dinner is one of the most common first date options. It gives you something to do together and gives you the opportunity to spend some quality time chatting. However, food can present a challenge—dripping butter can ruin a cute dress before you can blink. Garlic breath can ruin a goodnight kiss if the opportunity arises. Kinetic Imaging major Ed Pokoj said this concern is easily alleviated. “Don’t go places where there will be messy food. Hint hint: no ribs,” Pokoj said.

Abby Welch, a freshman in the Honors College, focused on the other person in her tip. “Make sure you don’t hate the person you’re about to date,” Welch said.

Some VCU students responded with a holistic tip for a perfect first date. Elliot Roth, president of the Society for Engineering and Entrepreneurial Design, said the actual date isn’t important. “You have to make her feel like the two of you are the only people in the world. Take her on a long walk somewhere and look at something beautiful, stopping along the way at your favorite places to share a bit of who you are,” Roth said. “And never expect anything. If she likes you, it’ll be who you are, not your date that made her think that.”

Freshman Zachary Webb-Watkins echoes this sentiment. “When people take the date seriously, no matter how casual it is, it proves they are interested.”

Other students do not worry about controlling the date. Communication Arts major Heather Thomas said spending too much time preparing for a first date can make you nervous. “I just let it happen,” Thomas said.

Whatever tips you choose to use, a positive attitude and sense of humor are always useful to create a perfect first date. Abby Welch gave one final piece of advice for VCU students: “if you want it, make it real.”

Lauren is a second-year student in VCU's Honors College. She is majoring in mass communications with a print journalism concentration and professional writing minor. She interns with The Metaphysical Circus as a copy editor. Lauren is also an undergraduate teaching assistant for a research writing course.With a passion for writing, editing and international issues, she hopes to one day write for a magazine that requires her to travel. She is also interested in a career in editing and publishing.In her free time, Lauren collects tea sets, talks to her garden gnome Chia pet, watches The Big Bang Theory and does Pilates. Her favorite herb is rosemary and her favorite color is chartreuse.
Sarah is a Mass Communications student at VCU with a concentration in Online/Print Journalism. She is passionate about veganism, traveling, music, health and fitness. Her plans after graduation are to move to NYC and work within the journalism field.