An Open Letter to the Upperclassman Still Living on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Upperclassman,

So, the season has just passed for applying for housing.  For many students, the decision has already been made to live off campus. Why not? More space than on-campus housing, the fact that it’s cheaper and you actually get to choose who you want to live with for a year. Plus, you don’t have to deal with constantly checking friends in and out of your building, they can just walk through like the normal human beings they are. Your house, your rules.

To the students who either live out of state or continue to stay in university housing for whatever reason, I understand. You may feel like you’re the minority – and you probably are – but kudos to you for sticking out the questioning and disbelief after telling peers that you’re still going to live on campus.  If I had a nickel for every “Wait, really?” and “Why?” question, I’d have enough to find somewhere to stay off campus.

The bright side is, you’ll still have the opportunity to meet new people, make new friendships and learn more about yourself and how to communicate with your new roommate(s). You’ll be close to campus (which may be a good or bad thing), and… I ran out of positives, but you get the point.

It’s not as bad as it seems! You’ll make it through still living on campus, and you’re not alone. Plus, you don’t have to check yourself in if you’re visiting a friend. Just try not to make yourself too at home.

Sincerely,

Me Too

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Brezaja is a sophomore studying film in the School of the Arts at Virginia Commonwealth University. When not writing articles for Her Campus at VCU, you can usually find them endlessly browsing Netflix or checking social media, mostly Instagram and Twitter. They try to be as open-minded as possible, and don't mind having conversations with others about social issues. After college, they dream of being an art director for films.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!