An Open Letter to My Dad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear Dad,

You are one of the most amazing and influential people in my life. Since day one, you have been by my side through thick and thin, as well as my partner in crime. You have always been my first hero and best friend, and I know you will stay in my heart forever and always. Growing up, you were always the person I could look up to and see what hard work could do, and for that I can not begin to thank you for. I can not begin to tell you just how proud I am to call you my dad.

I just wanted to thank you for all that you have done for me. Without you, I have no idea where I would be today, but I know it would not be where I am now. Thank you for your constant love, support and always keeping my best interests at heart, even when I did not always agree with you. Thank you for teaching me to be humble, kind and caring. Thanks for always being no more than a call away when I need to talk, when I need advice or even if I just needed someone to talk to when I walk home. Thank you for working hard to put a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food to help me grow. Thank you for working all those long shifts, late nights and early mornings to make ends meet, so I never had to go without anything. For being number one fan at all my band concerts, all the ceremonies you had to attend through the years and cheering me on at my high school graduation. 

Your patience, although I know I have tested it at times, and unwavering love, has made me the woman that I am today. You believed in me first. You danced with me first. You gave me everything that I could have ever needed, because you gave me love. By giving me that love, you taught me what love is and also what it isn’t. You showed me that love is being strong and humble, while also loving myself enough to accomplish my goals. I know that it must be hard to see the little girl grow up and face the world on her own. But I know that you just want what’s best for me. 

You are honestly the best father I could’ve ever asked for, and I know I don’t say it often enough, but thank you for being you. I know we do not get to have very many big father-daughter trips, but every moment I get to spend with you always end in some of the best memories that I have. Thank you for teaching me to be my own person and a strong woman. Thank you for being an amazing role model. I will always be your little girl and I will always love you no matter what. One day I hope to start a new chapter in my life with someone just as amazing as you, who is just as caring and just as loving. I love you so much.

Forever and Always,

Your “little girl”

all photos by author

Autumn is a junior at Virginia Commonwealth University studying Forensic Science with a concentration in Biology and minors in Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry. She has an addiction to Starbucks and Panera Mac and Cheese and can usually be found with her nose in a book during her free time. She is also an active member of VCU's Rowdy Rams and the Forensic Science Student Club. In her free time, she loves to watch movies and hang out with her friends and family; including her beloved dog, Jake.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!