Not Everyone is Going to be Your Friend Forever, and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Almost a year ago, I wrote an article called “A Thank You Letter to the Friend Who Dropped Me.” I had so much confusion and guilt when that happened to me. It was hard for me to process that I wasn’t going to be friends with the same people for the rest of my life. Now that time has passed, I feel less angry towards that individual, because I’m going through a similar process with someone new. Except this time, I’m the one dropping her.

When you graduate high school, most people just feel like they’re going to stay friends for life. I mean, high school is an extremely important time because so many life changing events happen. However, college changes people more than anyone could expect. When you come back home from college for a break, you realize that things aren’t the same as they used to be and everyone is living completely different lives now. It’s a weird thing to see, but it’s a part of life.

People grow apart. It doesn’t mean that you hate that person or wish negativity on them, it simply means that you guys have nothing in common anymore. It’s a hard thing to process, trust me, but once you finally realize that it’s time to let go of a friendship, you’ll know.

This isn’t saying that every single friend that you make is temporary. There’s going to be some people in your life that you meet who will become family and stay in your life forever. Hold on to those people who are special to you.

As I’ve already said, not everyone is going to be your friend forever, and that’s okay. People change. People grow apart. Life goes on. Sometimes people are meant to be in your life for a certain amount of time. That doesn’t mean that they weren’t important to you and that you won’t cherish the memories you guys have. It simply means that it’s time to move on with that point of your life and to cherish new memories and friendships.

Photo Credits: Cover, 1

Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!