My Problem with Jessie James Decker’s Instagram Post

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Jessie James Decker is an American singer/songwriter and fashion designer. Decker is married to current NFL Tennessee Titan’s player Eric Decker, the two have a reality show on E! as well. As a lover of Jessie James Decker with her cute Instagram posts of her adorable relationship and cute children, I was not pleased by her recent posting in regards to the “Take a Knee” stance. Although it wasn’t directly offensive, it still did not set well with me. Out of respect for the country and respect for her family members, as well as everyone else that has served or have had friends or family members serving in the military, I do understand. Now all I want is for you to understand the motivation behind those taking this stance.

The intention behind this notion isn’t to disrespect the country or those who have served, but it is to raise awareness towards the disrespect certain races and ethnicities have continued to feel throughout the years and even worse, how they feel currently. It is to show a sense of unity between those who feel this way, and its intention is to remain peaceful yet powerful. There is no sense of disruption and no verbal disrespect. In an indirect response to this movement, Jessie James Decker wrote a page long caption underneath a video of her singing the National Anthem. Within the post she discussed the importance of the National Anthem to her, further explaining how it often times would bring her family members to tears because of their past with serving in the military. She talked about how significant it is for her family when the anthem takes place, formally at events or just informally when she would sing it in their company. Her husband, Eric Decker also agreed with this post by commenting in agreeance. Although her post did not directly dig towards the “Take a Knee” movement, it was a condescending, passive aggressive way to glaze over what has recently taken place and that is what I do not appreciate.

Screenshot from Jessie James Decker’s Instagram, @jessiejamesdecker

As a prominent celebrity or public figure I feel that opinions should always be shared willingly and valued. But if it is going to be shared, don’t try to not acknowledge one side of the story. Being dismissive and not sharing the opposing viewpoints comes off as more offensive and cowardly to me personally. Instead of inferring with your words of how those participating are not prideful of this countries values, acknowledge and educate yourself on why it is happening.

This semester I am taking a comparative politics course and we so happen to be in the Nationalism/nation state/identity part of the course. My professor began the lecture with the simple question, “What does nationalism mean to you?” Most responses were similar in terms of pride for your nation, to be proud of where you come from, etc. However, once conversation continued, he began to ask questions in term of identity such as “How do you identify yourself?” Answers varied in terms of race, gender, ethnicity and place of origin. Someone responded “American,” and it then when he furthered the question, “But are you proud to be American?” The majority of the people in the room said no, and that’s when I realized that this movement stands for so much more than some believe it to be. 

Cover photo from Jessie James Decker’s instagram, @jessiejamesdecker.

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!