This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Virginia Commonwealth University and the surrounding community celebrated Martin Luther King, Jr. Week Jan. 18-24. The MLK Celebration Week was established in 2014 to honor and raise awareness of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. through VCU and Richmond community-wide educational programs. These celebrations highlight MLK’s contributions, leadership, service and dedication to nonviolence and justice. 

MLK Cafe and Design was hosted on Jan. 19 in the Commonwealth Ballroom. A select number of participants were able to paint portraits of MLK while enjoying food catered by Tropical Smoothie and Mama J’s.

VCU junior Ray donated blood on Jan. 20 demonstrating MLK’s legacy of service. One unit of blood can save three lives!

The Black Awakening Choir of VCU performed at the “Let Freedom Ring” Celebration Concert on Jan. 21. Students and community members enjoyed songs and poetry.

The Theta Rho Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha sponsored a candlelight vigil on Jan. 18 in honor of MLK who was a member of the fraternity himself. Participants engaged in a silent march from the center of Monroe Park to the Compass.

VCU Contributor Account