This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

When I tell people I am a member of a sorority at my university, I get all kinds of negative responses. Other Greeks on any college campus get the same remarks. Hearing about the stereotypes of Greek life is something a Greek must deal with throughout their entire existence on their college campus, and even after they graduate. Harsh judgments are made by strangers who only hear the words “sorority” or “fraternity,” by thinking less of someone for associating themselves with those words. Here are some common misconceptions of Greek life proven wrong.

1. Greek life is full of partying alcoholics.

The media is the biggest factor in making people believe Greek life is only about partying. Have you seen the movie Neighbors, starring the forever-fratty Zac Efron and Dave Franco? Movies like this put Greek life in a bad light and make it look like it is full of partying alcoholics. I don’t believe any member of a Greek community parties more than any non-Greek. Fraternities and sororities are diverse and not every Greek member drinks. Greeks are normal people too and have important things to do like homework, papers and projects. Overall, there really isn’t a difference between non-Greeks and Greeks when it comes to being social.

2. Greeks are only involved in their organization on campus and nothing else.

Many people believe that you’ll lose all your other friends at your university if you join a Greek organization. The truth is, that this is false. It is just as important to have non-Greek friends as it is to have friends in your organization and in other Greek organizations. Fraternities and sorority members don’t have to make their organization their entire lives. Many Greek organizations even require their members to be active in another student organization on their campus. Greek organizations may also require community service hours each semester. These community service hours can come from philanthropy events involved with the organization, or they can come from outside volunteer work. A member of a Greek organization can make the organization their entire life if they wish, but it is very easy to balance a life in Greek life and to have a life outside of it.

3. All Greeks are stupid and don’t care about their grades.

Greeks are required to hold a certain GPA in order to stay in the organization. A member could be put on academic probation from their organization if they do not have the required GPA for the semester. Academic probation can result in not being allowed to attend social events, not being able to hold a position in the organization and having to attend mandatory study hours. These requirements are motivation for Greeks to do well in school, and many Greeks go above and beyond the requirements.

4. You’re “paying” for friends.

The truth is that with any organization of any kind, there are going to be dues involved that keep the organization running. In Greek life, dues may cover housing (if there is Greek housing on campus), sisterhoods or brotherhoods put on by the organization, formals, semi-formals, philanthropy events, or the dues can go to nationals. Without the dues, Greek life might not be able to offer as much as they can to enrich the member in the environment of the organization. This is the same with any club or organization on a college campus.

So before you go around making judgments about Greek life on your college campus, remember these misconceptions that are now proven wrong. If you are a Greek at your college, don’t let anyone get you down about your decision to join an organization that makes you happy and can change your college experience for the better. In the end, we’re all just college students trying to get through to graduation. 

Hello! My name is Natalie Quinn and I am a sophomore at Virginia Commonwealth University. I am a print journalism major. I love to spend my time writing in my journal, watching netflix and looking at pictures of corgis. :) 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!