This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Chelsea Schmidt joined the Her Campus at VCU team during the fall of 2016. Since then she’s done incredible work for the team whether she’s taking gorgeous portraits of members, photographing a Black Lives Matter rally or shooting images for survival kit coverage. Chelsea is eager to initiate bonding among team members and is adored by all. 

Name: Chelsea Schmidt

Hometown: Virginia Beach

Major: Business

Year: 2020

Why did you choose VCU?

I love the city and being able to discover something new every time I go out and explore. I love discovering new restaurants and cool walls in this city!

What is your favorite thing about VCU?

I really enjoy the diversity of people and the fact that it’s a liberal college. I feel like I belong here.

What activities are you involved with (jobs, internships, sports, organizations, etc.?

So far I’m a photographer for Her Campus and I play intramural volleyball. I hope to become more involved once I’m more adjusted and settled into college.

Why did you decide to join Her Campus at VCU?

My goal is to grow as a person. I love being involved with a group of independent young women who are all going places. I’m also gaining photo experience and learning.

What has been your favorite thing about Her Campus at VCU?

I love being able to express myself through my photos and being able to have them featured in really well-written articles. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

What is your favorite photograph you’ve ever taken? Why is it your favorite?

This is my favorite because my favorite photo subjects are people. I love taking portraits. There’s just something about this photo that everything is just positioned in the perfect place. This was taken before I even posed her, it was kind of an accident shot but I love it.

If you could give one piece of advice to students considering VCU what would it be?

VCU gives you a little bit of everything. There’s an urban and nature vibe, depending on your mood. This school is very diverse and makes it easy for you to feel like you belong. There’s art everywhere, so many different restaurants and almost everything is in walking distance. It’s also pretty central to everything like DC, the beach, hiking in the mountains. I feel like the possibilities at this school are endless. If you’re into that then come!

What is your absolute dream job? 

I want to have my own wedding photography and wedding planning business!

Where do you want to live after graduation?

Probably California, specifically in Pasadena around my family.

What’s one thing you wish more people knew about you?

That even though I have a severe case of RBF (resting bitch face), I really enjoy getting to know new people!

In the movie of your life, what actor/actress plays you and why?

Lindsey Lohan in Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen definitely! I watched that movie as a little kid and didn’t understand everything, but watching it again now I relate to every overdramatic thing she could possibly do.

Photo credit: Chelsea Schmidt and Jasmine Medrano

Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!