Malcolm Jones ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Malcolm Jones

Hometown: New Kent, Va

Major: Vocal Performance

Year:  Senior

Relationship Status: Single

Why did you decide to be an Opera major?

I’ve always had a thing for music. I’ve played the clarinet since I was 11, but pretty much sang all my life. So after realizing how fond I was with musical arts I decided to at least give auditioning a try at VCU, low and behold here I am.

What’s your current favorite song?

My favorite song…This is really hard to answer because it’s never just one song that catches my attention. Right now I’m kinda stuck on repeat with certain artists like Kelela and Liars. But if I had to choose I would say “Bank Head” by Kelela is my fav right now.

What is your favorite thing about VCU?

My favorite thing about VCU are the musical opportunities around VCU, as well as Richmond. There are so many local businesses that support musicians that host events which allow musicians to perform as well as network.

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Laid-back, goofy, and positive

If you were an ice cream flavor, you would be…

Rocky Road?

Favorite place in Richmond?

My favorite place in Richmond is probably Belle Isle.

Favorite pick-up line?

…I have zero game…

Describe your ideal date:

I feel like dinner at nice restaurants, and I’m not talking about some food chain that can be found up and down every exit on the interstate. I’m talking about a local, high quality restaurant where the lights are dim when the sun goes down with live music playing in the background, something along the lines of smooth jazz or lounge music. Getting to know each other between the constant questionnaire provided by our waiter/waitress; and please get whatever you like, the night is on me. After that, take her to a movie that we are both interested in. Then go for a walk around the city to some nice sites of Richmond. Then walk her home.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?

Most people don’t know I played the clarinet the clarinet for nine years.

Who is your greatest influence or role model?

My greatest influence I would have to say are my parents. Without their support, discipline, and encouragement I wouldn’t be here embracing what I love to do most. I would probably be stuck doing something that I wouldn’t whole-heartedly appreciate. I truly am blessed to have them as parents, and I don’t think they understand how much they mean to me.

What are 5 things you can’t live without?

My phone, my friends, music, TV, and my bike

What is your biggest fear?

I do not get along with spiders at all.

Which celebrity would you choose to play you in the movie of your life?

Denzel Washington, hands down. I mean, my life isn’t that interesting, but could you imagine how many people would see that.

What is your biggest pet peeve (thing that annoys you the most)?

When people chew with their mouth open…It makes my skin crawl..

Who is your celebrity crush?

You know I’m quite fond of that Emma Watson.

Any hidden talents?

I think I can cook pretty well. I made a Thanksgiving feast last year and everybody was silent because they were inhaling everything made. Silence is a good thing right?

What is the best advice you ever received?

“Life is too short to get angry for prolonged periods of time, get of your own way and give it back to the universe.”

Portia, is a 22 year old Senior majoring in Cinema and double minoring in General Business and Media Studies at VCU. She transferred from The University of Hawaii at Leeward Community College, after graduating in 2012 with an Associate in Science in Television Production. Portia has a passion for all things art related, asian cuisine, traveling, and Bollywood movies.  In the future, she aspires to one day return to Hawaii and direct and create movies of all different genres and continue her passion for the arts.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!