This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I spent many summer nights running down the sidewalks of my quiet neighborhood with my eyes on the sky. My bare feet and my camera drew questioning looks from several of my neighbors. I often would anxiously peek out the window waiting for a sky I just had to photograph. I believe one of the most important things I gained from this experience was the value of setting aside even just a little bit of time for doing something that excited me and something I loved.

As a new semester begins, it’s easy to become caught up in homework, class, jobs, internships, meetings, and relationships. While these obligations are important and perhaps critical to your success as a college student, but so is maintaining a sense of self. Taking time for you and to do something you love might mean painting your nails or doing your make-up, it might be hitting the gym, working on a blog, or reading a book. It may be something you’ve never done before or something you’ve always wanted to do.

One of the other things I discovered is that an activity is much more enjoyable when you don’t feel like you’re forcing yourself to do it. Instead of telling myself I had to take a photo every single day, I let myself do it when I was inspired. It turned out I was inspired a lot more than I would have thought!

Another bonus of setting aside some time for a hobby is that it can provide something to look forward to. We’ve all become overwhelmed by life and school at some point or another. Knowing you can take a few minutes to breathe and do what you want to do can energize you enough to tackle the tasks ahead.

A hobby or a little bit of “you time” is a great way to recharge. You are worth celebrating so find something you love and do it. As for me, don’t be surprised if you find me wandering around staring at the sky. 

Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!