A Love Letter to the UGGs I Left Behind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

To my favorite pair of shoes that I have ever owned,

Although you are inevitably stuffed deep in the rarely explored bowels of my closet and have wasted away, hardly worn in years….I still love you. I haven’t forgotten you or the warmth and comfort you brought me.

Every winter, as the leaves begin to fall and the air becomes crisp, I mentally revisit our time together. We were the original iconic duo, you and I. I cherish the days where you would snuggly wrap yourself around my bare feet (I’m sorry that I never wore socks, by the way, you didn’t deserve that) and hold me close as we, foot and sole, would proudly march around the middle school grounds. Peers would stare, “those are the ugliest shoes I’ve ever seen,” some would say. Normally, middle school me would be distraught over such an unprovoked and unprecedented diss. Yet, much like the foundation you created for my pubescent body, I remained firm and strong.

Remember that one winter where I cried because I didn’t realize that wearing you in the snow would make you less soft to the touch? I’ll never forget it. I was traumatized. Luckily though, I realized that your newly found worn look only made you look more loved than you already were. I was honored to have it displayed to the world.

We truly had a great run, dear UGGs.

To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what happened between us. Whether we simply grew apart is hard to say because you are an inanimate object and cannot grow at all, yet I like to think of that as the reason, regardless. It takes the blame off me, even though I think we both know that I am to blame. I changed. I moved on. I didn’t know how good I had it.

Yet, rest assured – physically, you were replaced by my brown, lace-up Steve Madden combat boots. Emotionally, you are forever number one in my heart.

What I’m really trying to say here, if you couldn’t tell, is that I love you. Honestly, I love you just as much now as I did then. But I realize now that we are different. It wasn’t destined to be.

Although we are apart and have absolutely no chance of ever getting back together because you don’t vibe with my new mature aesthetic, I want you to know that I think of you often. I hope, one day, you can move on as I have.

Take care, my precious UGGs. Until we meet again (the next time I clean out my closet).

Sincerely,

Your two-footed friend

Photo credits: Cover image, 1, 2, 3.

Emily Gerber is a Creative Advertising and English double major at Virginia Commonwealth University. She likes to refer to herself as “Tom Hanks’ adopted daughter,” and is a self-proclaimed succulent mom who takes care of the numerous small cacti living on the windowsill in her apartment. Emily appreciates people who *attempt* to beat her at Disney trivia and wants to dedicate all of her articles to her dog, Daisy.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!