Living with One of the Top Ten Worst Majors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every student faces the ever popular “what’s your major?” question, but not all answers are treated equally. Many of us have seen the lists of the Top 10 worst majors and held our breath as we opened the list hoping we wouldn’t be confronted by our major of choice. As a photography major, I’ve faced this list many times and scared myself out of my choice more times than I can count. These are five of the experiences students with the “worst majors” face.

1. The Look

If you have a major that leaves people questioning your sanity and your future employment potential, you’ve probably encountered “the look”. The look is a mixture of sympathy, pity, concern and good intentions, but in all likelihood it just makes you feel like ripping out your hair. You know people mean well and they care, but you also know that no matter what you say they will still see your major as a bad idea. Chances are they think you are naive. You know the work that goes into your major and the skills you are acquiring from it, but they can’t look past your clearly doomed future.

2. My friend/son/daughter/niece/cousin/neighbor’s second cousin wanted to do that, but…

There is the type of person who tries to relate to you by listing some acquaintance who sought a similar path, but then came to their senses and decided on a much more practical future. This person will assure you their acquaintance is still able to pursue this “hobby” on the weekends because it isn’t something that really requires a college degree.

3. Have you thought about…?

I don’t know if I have ever met a college student who picked a college or a major and never considered anything else, but for some reason people seem to think if you picked one of these “undesirable” majors it is because you didn’t know there were other options. They may provide you with lists of “hot new majors” or remind you of that biology test you aced in tenth grade. Just in case you missed all of the career aptitude tests, college course books and guidance counselor meetings these, people are here to remind you that college is full of options and your major may be one, but not a good one.

4. Aren’t you worried about…?

This concern pulls out the heavy artillery and does not shy away from the J-word or the C-word. Aren’t you worried about finding a job? Isn’t your major more of a hobby than a career? Of course you are worried about finding a job because most students are. So much time and money is invested into a college education and almost every student fears that they’ll never be able to pay it all back. We’ve been hearing about the economy and the job market for years add in tuition increases, and what student wouldn’t be afraid?

5. There is still time to change your mind

This reminder can actually be comforting at times. Yes, you’ve made a big decision, and you take it very seriously, but there is still time to change your mind. You may decide on grad school, law school or on the job training. The major you’ve picked is right for you now and you’ve given it a lot of thought and future planning which is why you want to stick with it, but if something changes there is still time.

If you are like me, you’ve spent a lot of time questioning your major, but you’ve also spent a lot of time planning and realizing that you will be ok and you are on the right path for you. No matter how confident you are in your decision you will encounter someone who isn’t quite so sure about it. The best thing I’ve found is to take it with a smile and keep doing your thing in the best way you know how. 

Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!