A Letter To Your Best Friend’s Ex-Boyfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Dear You,

I bet you didn’t expect to be hearing from me since we didn’t talk much when you were around, but trust me, I know more than you realize. If you don’t know it by now, I’m sure you’ll realize soon — you’ve made a horrible mistake. I know we are all still young and relationships end, so this isn’t just about letting go of what I’d say (somewhat biasedly) is the best you’ll ever have. I remember the way she lit up any time she could mention your name. I was right there with her as she went through the pictures on your Facebook accounts over and over again. After you finally made her your girl, I probably remembered more of your “monthiversaries” than you did. I saw through every up and every down how she fought for you and loved you no matter what. Remember your last birthday? She spent a lot of time making sure everything was just right because she wanted the day to be special and to give you a smile you’d feel for a week.

Another thing I know? She wasn’t the only one in love. I bet you weren’t expecting to hear me say that. I know you loved her too. You used to do the little things. You were Prince Charming with a flower for the princess and a shoulder to cry on when she needed it. You made her laugh and every time you called her that special little nickname she couldn’t help but smile and blush. When you told her she was beautiful, it gave her eyes that extra sparkle. I know things weren’t always easy though — remember, I’m the best friend — so I’ve seen the attitude and I know the angry tears. You pulled through the difficult moments together though.

So by now, I guess you’re wondering what the point of all this is. I’m angry with you. Not for breaking up with her, but for the way you did it. It seems like you forgot that this was a girl you loved and who loves you. It feels like you’ve done and said everything you could think of to hurt her. You insult her now and you have “your reasons” for why you hurt her the way you do. Someone you once believed was one in a million, you now tell is one of millions.

Even if you forgot how to appreciate her, I know she is strong, intelligent, loving and beautiful. I know she can be anything she wants to be and do anything she wants to do. I’ll be by her side when your name is nothing more than a whisper in the concert of her life. She’s my best friend and I mean it when I say I’ll love her always.

Sincerely,

The Best Friend

Jessica is a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at VCU, a Chapter Advisor and a retired Campus Expansion Assistant. She will graduate in May 2017, earning Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies. Her core areas of study include photography, journalism and media studies. In addition to school and her work with Her Campus, Jessica works at her university library as an information associate.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!