This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Name: Jamil Jasey

Title: Poet, activist, event planner and radio host

Birthday: May 4, 1979

Hometown: Richmond, VA

School: VCU alumni

What kind of things do you do or have done around Richmond?

I plan poetry events and do mentor programs for children. I work with RBHA (Richmond Behavior Health Authority) and VTCC (Virginia Treatment Center for Children) associated with VCU. I’m also currently working with Richmond Public Libraries on a program called Art Is, which brings families together through the arts. Another program that I’m working with is BMER (Black Men Emerging Readers), which encourages young black men ages 12-18 to read and promote positivity in their lives.

Who is your role model?

My mother because she is a strong black woman.

What is your inspiration?

The people that I work with in my group because we are a family and they uplift me.

What do you hope to accomplish with the things you are doing around Richmond?

I want to show people that art is an alternative way to bring people together and to channel their energy in a positive way.

Out of all the things you have done what has meant the most to you?

Working with the BMER program because I am teaching these young black men to write and develop core values. For example, manners, how to treat your parents and how to be a man.

If you could go back in time and meet anyone who would it be?

Marvin Gaye because he was soulful, inspiring and would be a meaningful person to meet.

Who is your favorite music artists?

RaKim, Kool G Rap, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Daft Punk and Reba McEntire because their music speaks to the public and has a meaning behind it.

What do you hope to establish in the Richmond community?

I want to see all types of people work together and have equity.

Check out Jamil at his open mic poetry events every Thursday from 7-11 p.m. at Union Bistro & Jazz located at 2400 Northumberland Ave, Richmond, VA 23220

Contact him on Facebook @Jamil Dee Jasey or follow him on Twitter @Jamiljasey to stay updated on his upcoming events!

All photos by Jessica Mayfield

Jessica is a senior at VCU, studying Mass Communication Advertising. She enjoys taking photos, acting and being the center of attention. She is an ambitious person and cares deeply about her goals and what she wants to do in the near future. She loves to talk, socialize and be in front of the camera. Her dream is to be on TV and inspire the world around her.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!