This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

As an out-of-state student, I’ve had many times where this new place just didn’t feel authentic and homey. I stayed at VCU during fall break with no classes to distract and nobody around to talk to. That was the most homesick I’ve ever been. In that short amount of time, I developed different ways to make the campus feel just like home. If you are an out-of-state student like me, you might find these incredibly helpful.

1. Some things are universal

There any many franchises on campus that have locations all over the world, and most likely one in your hometown. I like to go to Starbucks, get my typical drink and add a pump of peppermint to it and it makes me feel warm, cozy and at home. Just because you are in a place that doesn’t quite feel comfortable yet doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy things you used to. One very hard thing to combat with homesickness is depression which can lead to decreased joy in things that you normally love. Fight back that feeling by doing everything like normal. There is also a Subway, a Pizza Hut and even a Chick-Fil-A. Just because you are in a new place doesn’t mean your go-to junk food has to go!

2. Explore the new possibilities

Leaving your comfort zone means there are so many new things to do! Go to all of the local stores, get a new piercing that is popular at the college, try some local cuisine – VCU is your oyster! You aren’t held down by knowing the town inside and out, so take advantage of that. During my first week at VCU I got super lost in Libbie Mill. Sure, it was terrifying at the time, but now I know Libbie Mill backwards and forwards. Maybe don’t intentionally get lost but definitely explore! There are little shops here that you can’t find anywhere else.

3. Make new friends

There are so many in-state students at VCU who already know the ins and outs of the campus. They also are used to the environment and culture, so it will always help to have friends show you the ropes. Friends are a great distraction from overthinking, too, and homesickness usually comes from overthinking. Friends in general just make you feel more comfortable and confident in your habitat. Make sure to surround yourself with people who you actually enjoy being around though. Rushing into friendships is like eating an ice cream cone too fast — just causes headaches. Many friendships are also very liquid, meaning they will come, go and maybe not stick around for long but you can always enjoy them in the moment.

4. Learn your way around

There is a whole new terrain for you to memorize and know. Get on Google Maps and just walk around, taking in the sites and learning which roads connect. The best way to feel comfortable where you are is by knowing where you are. VCU has many blocks and roads that loop around the campus so it can’t hurt to learn! Broad Street is a great way to get to know Richmond because its a giant road that makes it hard to get lost on. If you stay on Broad the whole time you are walking, when you want to go home just turn around.

If you use these tips, you just might start to feel at home and comforted at VCU. It is a fantastic school where students from all over the world come to study. Take advantage of all that has been put in front of you and don’t hesitate to contact someone if you are struggling.

Photos by Eleanor Ritzman

Mary McLean (nee Moody) is an avid writer and the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at VCU. She is currently double majoring in Political Science and History at Virginia Commonwealth University. She has published three novels and is working on her fourth. She loves her cats Sully and Remy and will always mention them in every conversation. You can find her looking at memes all night and chugging KickStart in the morning with her husband.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!