How to Have a Fall Fashion Aesthetic When It’s Still Warm Outside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Fall is every basic girl’s favorite time of the year. I proudly lump myself into that category because, honestly, if you don’t love hot drinks and cozy sweaters, you either have no soul or are lying.

One of the best things about fall is the clothes. Cute shoes, stylish layers, leather jackets, chunky scarves; the list goes on. Sadly, this year the temperatures are still high even though Halloween is just around the corner (thanks, global warming). So if you want an autumn aesthetic, you are going to have to get creative. These tips will help you achieve the look despite the warm weather.

Half Boots

These are staple in a fall wardrobe anyway, but they are a great way to get the chunky boot look without getting too hot. They work with any look: jeans, dresses, tights and even shorts if you style the outfit right. They are comfortable and stylish, so make sure to incorporate them into your fall look.

Color Scheme

This is the easiest way to look fall, when it doesn’t feel like fall. Autumn is the time to pull out dark colors like wine red or navy, and earthy tones like grays, browns and greens. Pops of warm tones like vibrant reds and oranges are festive as well. Of course, don’t forget the king of fall fashion: black. So even if it is 85 degrees outside, your dress or shorts and shirt can have that fall feel if they stay in the color scheme of an autumn wardrobe.

Dark Lips

Speaking of fall fashion colors, dark lips are a must. Purples, dark reds, navy, forest green, brown and even black are all perfect options. Pair them with a smoky eye or winged eyeliner, and you will be pumpkin patch photo shoot ready. Just remember to wear setting spray because, while you may look like an autumn princess, it’s still hot as hell and you will sweat.

Carry Around a Pumpkin

Okay, this one is a stretch. But it can’t be denied that the pumpkin is fall’s favorite gourd. So if you are really invested in looking like fall in the heat, a pumpkin would do the trick.

Hopefully, the fall weather will come soon enough. But until then, you can fake that fall fashion aesthetic using these tips, and drink a PSL of course.

Photo credits: cover image, 1, 2

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!